Thread: What is the proper angle for a wood chisel bevel?

What is the proper angle for a wood chisel bevel?

I have a 5 piece chisel set that I've had for 20 years (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1"). Over that time, I have sharpened them incorrectly many times and have lost the original bevel angle. I did a Google search for this and came up with 25 degrees, but this seems very steep. Also, is the angle consistent for all the chisels? I want to do it right, so I'm looking for help here. Thanks to all.

Jim,
    Different angles for different chisels is the general comment. But, I think you can get a ton of info on this at the Neanderthal Haven forum...and here's one thread by Bob Smalser that will answer your question by type and why -
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=750464
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

A sharpening machine with a jig like a Tormek or sharpening stones and a jig would do the trick. Lee Valley sells a jig,I think it's called MKII?? The jig would also work on a piece of flat float glass and wet/dry sandpaper. Start at 220 and work your way to as fine as you want;800 or 1000. Whatever you do, make sure to flatten the backs first-very important. Stones,up to 8000 grit.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Looks like 30 degrees is my angle (Thanks for the link Glen). I use a honing guide like you suggested Michael, I just wanted to know what angle to sharpen to. I think I'm good to go.