Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not much enthusiasm

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    I'm in the same boat Dan, I just got tired of being treated poorly by the genaral public, friends and a relative, all expecting too much, thinking this is just a hobby and don't think my time and equipment is worth much. I have been a woodworker for along time, and I'm about wore out.
    I guess things just look easy to people who don't know how to do it. I guess anyone can get wore out.

Dan;
    I feel bad for you. I get to the point sometimes where nothing matters. Not my workshop ( which is my favorite thing) or anything else. Some times I Think about making things and giving them away on the day when I have built all I need for myself but I'm still new to wood working. I might feel different in the future, I hope I don't.
    You'll feel different when your ready and I know nothing anyone says is going to help. In fact, words often make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    You guys need light therapy or something. Could be just the winter drolls???
    Umm...Gary may not be far off the mark. As someone who IS affected by seasonal light disorder I can tell you that getting some full-spectrum light into your day really does help a lot. The fix for me was when Professor Dr. SWMBO bought me a special timer a few years ago that brings a full-spectrum light on gradually every morning starting at about 6:30a. Without it, it's very difficult for me to wake up or have any energy during the day. It was a major good thing for me....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And I was responding to Gary, but while we are at it, it gets cold in Texas ? Comeon up to North Dakota about now, then you'll know or be reminded of what cold really is.

Ah ok, ha, yes, you indeed DO know what cold is in N. Dakota!!! Now that, you're absolutely on target - is cold!!! That's why I no longer live in CO or NE, ha. Nah, actually college and the boy next door kept me here (married him) But yep, it is cold here today, I think maybe 17. Which is rather below average for here. But then to me anything below 80 is "cold," LOL! Most of the time, though, yes, it's pleasant and warm here.

I am glad you are, however, back to doing things just for you. What you WANT TO DO. That's good! I'd agree it's AOK not to let folks take advantage of you. It's fun if people appreciate it or you realize reasonable recompense. Best wishes and goodness me, yes, stay warm up there!

Kindest regards,

Jude

I've been through spells where I didn't pick up my tools for a good period of time.I just didn't have any ambition at all to woodwork, then I would find some type of project, either from neccesity or inspiration,that would get me going again.I find when I do get going again I really have more ideas and projects seem to flow one to another easily.If you really love woodworking the desire will return.

I was feeling good till I read this post,so thanks for that,do keep us in the loop when you are feeling depressed.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

Sometimes I get like that. here is what i do. I grab a beer and go into my shop. turn on some music and sit down. Just sit there enjoying my beer and tunes and looking around. Something always catches my eye. An unfinished bowl or a something that i never finished sanding. Some small thing that won't take no time to complete. Sometimes I just finish that up and go have another beer, sometimes it gets me going on another project. Sometimes it's nice to just sit there and think on stuff.

Smile Dan,

I would have to say - don't worry about it. That is exactly why I do not become obsessed with my wood working ~ you have to have the drive or a call for it as far as I am concerned. I never worry about it- it happens to me from time to time - a well diversified life is the best way to live in my opinion ~ to much of one thing can become a boredom later. take a break from it ~ you'll be back in the shop - you'll see
    Brian

Yeah right, it's just me, it has nothing to do with what I just said. Thanks, I feel so much better, NOT !
    Didn't mean to offend you. Like Mr. Becker said, light therapy is a legitimate recommendation. I have a brother with serious mood swings...so I wasn't trying to be cute.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Didn't mean to offend you. Like Mr. Becker said, light therapy is a legitimate recommendation. I have a brother with serious mood swings...so I wasn't trying to be cute.
    Gary
    Now I have mood swings ? Good lord. I have what I think is a legitimate gripe and I got the problem ? Unreal.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 01-22-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Yes! For me it was a combination of things. First, and foremost I think my day job was wearing on me. There was a lot of crap going on and I'd gone from enjoying work to staying up at night worrying about it. Sunday nights I barely slept. Second, I'd gotten way to serious about woodworking--I had other interests but had decided to focus on woodworking. I had outfitted my shop to the hilt and couln't really do anything else in there. Then I felt bad about not doing anything out there. Some of the other contributing factors were that I also had almost no must-do projects on my list, I had injured myself pretty badly with the router, and I had continual sinus infections according to my doctor (still have that problem but we switched doctors and the current doctor basically says to live with it that its not an infection and not serious, just annoying.)

So what did I do? First, I sold off some of my serious large woodworking equipment and a bunch of hand tools that I bought because I told myself that to be a good woodoworker I had to learn to use them. Some of the tools I've replaced with hobby-grade versions, like going from a 15" planer to a lunchbox and a 8" jointer to a small 6". Then I went out and bought several metalworking tools like a welder with the proceeds so I could do some metal working. At first I thought I would quit woodworking almost completely but that decision evolved over time.

Next, I took advantage of my then-employer's employee assistance program to talk to someone about it. Eventually I had some frank conversations with my boss about various things and several months later found a new job and moved on to a really good situation.

Since then I've actually done as much or more woodworking as before. But I don't feel trapped because I can easily do other things in my shop. Eventually I'd like to restore an old tractor which I now have room to do because my shop is more multi-functional. Lately I've made some siginificant aquisitions to more fine-tune my shop. Those aquistions have been more about making things easier, especially things I don't particular enjoy doing. I'll soon be making an aquistion related to mortise and tenon joinery for example. And I've focused on having one way to do tasks rather than learning every way.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-22-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Get 3 daughters and a wife in the house. Nothing will more quickly get you in the garage.

Seriously, though. You are right. Your time to yourself is limited and precious. When others start expecting you to use that retreat for them, particularly if they don't take a hand in the work, then it can quickly become tedious and tiresome.

Not only that, hobbies come and go, wax and wane. If you think of all the fun activities you have done in your life, how many of them are you still doing? There just simply isn't enough time in the day.

I wonder if you have had a recent challenge or series of frustrations that are keeping you from getting back in the shop? If so, then I think taking a break is a good idea. Maybe you will get back in a few weeks or months.

If not, let me know, I may be relieving you of some equipment.

Somebody pass Don and Chuck some cheese wilya.....

So what are you guys going to do about it?

Now I have mood swings ? Good lord. I have what I think is a legitimate gripe and I got the problem ? Unreal.
    Sorry I posted, now!!!!!!!

Gary

Thanks for the thought, folks. It's not a seasonal thing, as I really haven't been in the shop much in the past year. And it's sure not that I can't find things that matter. Far from it. I am involved in things that really matter, both to me, and to others.

I'm not planning on selling my tools yet. In the first place, they're not worth all that much. You know, that is part of the reason I quit frequenting this site--not only was I not woodworking much, but the equipment race and the tool gloating was starting to sound pretty hollow.

I'll cut wood when it's time, I guess. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Reading these posts are good for me.

I know I am not alone with issues and stress in my life. I always had a creative side ( in the construction sense, not artistic ... REALLY not artistic ) and I made a committment to MYSELF that I was going to spend more time and learn to work with wood. I like it, it frustrates me at times, but even the frustrations are rewarding.

Maybe because I am at the beginning of this relationship with wood, that I dont have the same issues, but for me, the basement is my area, my solice, my refuge.

Thanks for sharing, thanks for listening.