Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dowelmax vs. Domino: decision time

Dowelmax vs. Domino: decision time

I've been looking at the Domino and the Dowelmax to all-but-replace mortise and tenon joinery which I really hate doing, mostly because I consistently mess it up (too loose, bad alignment, etc.) Since a hobby is supposed to be enjoyable and I don't want to worry aobut it I've decided that for pretty much anything I plan to make a Dowelmax or Domino would be faster and more accurate. I'd pretty much decided on a Dowelmax over a Domino due to cost but now I'm reconsidering because I can afford the Domino too after a good weekend in Las Vegas. Here's what I see--what am I missing?

Domino
    Pros--fast, manufacturer has been around forever, pretty much just a new way to do loose tenons which have been an acceptable form of joinery forever, able to be used on stock as small as 1" wide, zero mess.

Cons--cost, both initial and in consumables (though I could make my own "dominos" if I wanted) Complex machine will probably someday require service at some level.

Dowelmax
    Pros--pretty fast, cost, consumables available from several sources. Very simple, should last forever.

Cons--small manufacturer that has only been around a few years from what I can tell (small worry about long term support) 2 dowels required to prevent rotation. Potential long term issue with dowel shrinkage (though that is supposed to be taken care of with compressed dowels, but there is no long term testing that I know of.) Somewhat slower. No chip collection.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-22-2008 at 11:19 PM.

I haven't used a Domino, so this is not a comparative comment.

I recently bought a Dowelmax and I'm delighted. To address your specific concerns:

Long term support: There is NOTHING to support. Nothing to break. At worst, you'd lose a spacer block, or perhaps a bushing guide. If you're worried about long term availability, all of these components can be purchased now from their web site.

Somewhat slower: Having not used a Domino, I can't comment on the comparison. I can say that Dowelmax is fast, because the alignments are all done in real time on the jig.

No chip collection: There are no chips! Well, to be 100% accurate, you're just drilling some holes. Even with a cordless drill, all you get is a few spirals of wood from the bit, there are no chips being flung in all directions.

I don't regret the Dowelmax decision at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Complex machine will probably someday require service at some level.
    For the time being if your Domino gets out of alignment, Festool will re-align the machine for you free of charge. It is also pretty easy to ajust the machine itself following the directions if need be.

I would assume that outside the warranty, Festool would re-align the machine for a nominal fee since Festool's policy is to support all of their machines (even the ones they made 50 years ago).

Consumables are not that much more expensive than high quality dowels, but this depends on the specific sizes you plan use.

The domino also can do more advanced operations than the dowelmax, but it really comes down to your needs. I'd look at the domino manual that has been linked to here before to see if these would benefit you (as well as the links on Bob Marino's website on operation). If these operations are not things you will do, then go with the dowelmax.

BTW, I should mention that most of the cons are not major concerns--just minor differences that I noted (i.e. dust collection, manufacturer support, etc.) I realize that the Dowelmax shouldn't ever need any service, but 20 years from now when I screw something up...

I really can not comment on the Domino that much, I do know it is one heck of a tool and it does a great job, it better do a good job for the cost.
    If I had a custom shop I think there would be no question about it, the Domino would be the one to pick but I don't.

Here are some things about the DowelMax that are really nice:

It is small and takes up very little room and I keep it in a drawer in a small box.

On Sunday you are putting something together and you run out of domoins what can you do..... with the DowelMax you run to HD and get some dowels, now they will not be the really good ones but they do work just fine.

No power cords, I use a cordless drill so there are no cords around anywhere. I can take it anywhere and use it with the cordless drill.

It is easy to use, no settings to change and it will not get out of calibration. There are spacers to add but for the most part there is just put them in and go, its not like you have to do any set up with them.

It is very versatile and can be use in many different ways, on small thing with just one dowel to larger projects with 10 dowels a joint.

I have used it to make all my shop stuff, the TS stand, the router table stand, the planer stand, face frames on all my cabinets and the drawer fronts when I had to put to boards together to get one wide enough. I have had no problems with any of them and they all went together very well.

So I think it all comes down the how much money do you want to spend and how much will you be using it.
    The Domino is around $850 to get started I think and the DowelMax is $250, that is $600 that you could use to get a new jointer or other large shop tool.

But bottom line you are the one that knows which one you really want. Lets face it we can all justify just about anything we want if we work at it a little.

Good Luck...

Buyer's remorse

I think all the above makes a lot of sense. I'll add to that a question. Do you get buyers remorse after you buy expensive things? Are you the type that would buy the Domino and then feel bad you spent so much money on it? Be honest with yourself about this. If so the Dowelmax might seem like a better value for you. If spending some of that hard earned (won ) money is easy then maybe consider the Dowelmax. For me I try not to buy expensive "toys" as I don't sell my stuff; it's a hobby only. I try to keep that in perspective. Good luck on your decision.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Blog Entries
    I can't comment on the Dowel max but I did just buy a Domino. 1st, with never using a Domino before, I was able to build face frames using only Dominos and attaching them to the boxes with only Dominos as well. The project went perfectly. 2nd, after using the tool, it seems very well built. I doubt service will be necessary for years to come. 3rd, Dominos are competitively priced. I've seen other loose tenons for more money. As I said before, I've never used a Dowelmax so I can't comment on the use or the expense of one. As far as buyers remorse goes. I only get that when I spend a lot of money on something that doesn't deliver the goods. IMHO, the Domino delivers. I did 32 Dominos when making this faceframe and attaching it to the boxes and it took me about 2 hours to be ready for finish, Including sanding. Could someone post a picture of their dowelmax please?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    One more thing. I have a very small shop so space has a high value as well. I'm able to store A CT33 vacuume, a TS75 circular saw, The Domino, A planer, a sander with paper and the box of dominos, all in about 4 square feet of floor space. In addition, the tool in use moves with dust collection and works with all of the tools. I also like the feature that the collector comes on and goes off with what ever machine is in use. Add the value of effency to the ability. Good points from everyone. I hope everyone gets the info to make the decision that's right for them. That's whats great about SMC.

Hi Matt!

If I commented I would just be repeating Bill Huber's words almost exactly, so I'll let it go at that.

Art

For the Dowelmax owners? How important is the drill? With my pocket hole jig I find I really need to use a corded drill and even it bogs down a little. If I go with the Dowelmax, should I plan to buy a better corded drill?

BTW Bill, both of your prices are a little low. The difference is more like $700.

I found a video showing the use of the two here: http://kandt-tools.blogspot.com/ He makes the Dowelmax seem a little easier to use than I imagined.

Matt, although my regular drill for the Dowelmax is a Makita cordless - 8-10 years old, forget the model - I've used an old egg-beater hand drill just for the hell of it. It worked just fine. Slow, but fine.

In fact, if I could find a good one, I'd buy a small ratchet brace with a 3- or 4-jaw chuck and use that instead of the cordless as my main drill. Then the only sound in the workshop would be metal biting wood.

I've never used a pocket hole jig, but do they impose any drag on the drill? I can only imagine that you're trying to join concrete and rock, not timber

Ron,
    If you have drag on the drill bit from a pocket hole jib, the only way would be from not having the bit aligned properly with the guide bushing, least I can't see any other reason for it.
    I too have been looking at the Domino for awhile now.... not sure if I want to slide on the green n blue slope...... the Neander slope I found last year isn't getting any better traction.
    After all the hype & flames here before the donimo's arrival, I was hoping for the same amount of information after the first wave of them hit..... it's been what, a year or close enough and still not "that much" feedback on the boards.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Greg, if you are in the Tucson area, you're welcome to come take my Domino for a test drive. It's so easy it's sinful. I'll try to get some pics of it disassembled. BTW Festool offers great service. I needed a new power plug for my CT33 and I had it in 3 days, no questions asked.

"In fact, if I could find a good one, I'd buy a small ratchet brace with a 3- or 4-jaw chuck and use that instead of the cordless as my main drill. Then the only sound in the workshop would be metal biting wood."

Ron - you can get excellent used braces here: http://www.sydnassloot.com/TOOLS.htm#braces

- Jack
    Jack Hutchinson

This is really easy... start with the DowelMax. If you are not happy, return it for a refund or you can sell it for practically full price.

As far as dust collection, you can connect a shop vac right below the fixture to catch most of the saw dust.

I would love to have the Domino as well but already started with a Dowelmax.

UPDATE: I just checked www.dowelmax.com and it says the no questions asked money back warranty is 60 days. That should be long enough to make a decision.
    Last edited by Al Garay; 01-23-2008 at 10:18 PM.