Thread: Would the cheap Dust collectors be OK for a single tool?

Would the cheap Dust collectors be OK for a single tool?

Not quite able to afford a cyclone collector at the moment, but as you might be able to tell from my other thread, I want to take a crack at some low cost improvements to Dust control in my shop. I jumped on the JET air cleaner deal on Amazon, so that's on its way... but I had a couple of other questions that I KNOW this group can answer.

First question:
    I know its cheap... but if I were only going to use it on one tool at a time would this unit yield significantly better results than my shop vac?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94029

I think I read that its actual CFM is only around 300-400, but the price is certainly right for now.. I only have 3 tools that I would be trying to use it on - the 22124 table saw, my Rigid 14" bandsaw, and I would try to cobble something together for my Porter Cable dovetail jig.. Obviously only connected to one tool at a time..

Thoughts?

Second question:
    For those of you that have the steel cyclone collectors, do any of you use them to vacuum up metal swarf? If I can use one to help clean up my Bridgeport CNC or Grizzly Geared head lathe, then I might be able to 'justify' the purchase sooner... I'm thinking hot chips might be a really bad idea, but could I use it to clean up the floor and machines afterwards?

Thanks for your input!!

-Chris

I actually had one of those but never used it. I don't recall where it even came from, probably some bulk tool purchase dad made at some time.

You probably need over 400 CFM at the TS to get decent control. Doesn't matter how you get that CFM, just that it is there. A small R2D2 looking unit will work much better with one piece of flex.

A 1 micron bag is a necessity or the unit is just blowing the fines around which is actually worse than letting them drop.

If you have a Bridgeport than I am sure you have the skills to build your own cyclone and could get one for 1/2 of a new purchase with some frugle shopping.

Metal chips hitting a rapidly spinning metal impeller is a bad idea. They have units designed for metal particles but I have never looked at them. I have only used a broom/dustpan for any metal.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I don't see why it won't. Were talking about a fan and a housing. Its not to high tech. I say its a buy.

35 micron isn't enough of a filter for any fine dust regardless of CFM. If you go with something like a Jet DC650C (canister model), it's clones (Grizzly et al), or a larger and much better unit (Jet 1100C or 1200C) AND use short sections of hose then you'll start collecting significant amounts of dust and chips. If your shop is closed up (say winter work in a garage) then use a respirator in addition to the DC, if you have significant ventilation (a couple of garage doors open, cross ventilation, and a good size fan) then you can consider working without the respirator.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    35 micron isn't enough of a filter for any fine dust regardless of CFM. If you go with something like a Jet DC650C (canister model), it's clones (Grizzly et al), or a larger and much better unit (Jet 1100C or 1200C) AND use short sections of hose then you'll start collecting significant amounts of dust and chips. If your shop is closed up (say winter work in a garage) then use a respirator in addition to the DC, if you have significant ventilation (a couple of garage doors open, cross ventilation, and a good size fan) then you can consider working without the respirator.
    Thats a good point. 35 microns is really collecting the chips and largest dust particles. You will have to clean your jet air cleaner filter often.
    Did you get the washable exterior filter for the jet air cleaner?

You might look into the price of a better filter bag for the vac.

Out of curiosity I looked up the cost of a bag on amazon. They have a 5 micron on sale till the 24th for $68. I would make sure you could fit it on and add that to the cost. I was thinking maybe over the original bag and fastened with a large hose clamp.

Hi Keith,

I didn't get the pre-filter as the reviews were pretty wishy-washy.. Its supposed to arrive today, so I'll see if I think I'll need it... After reading the other thread about the 2HP Harbor Freight, I'm starting to lean in that direction...then I'll have a little more confidence that it will pickup the finer particles better.

A little more $$$, but still less than the higher end cyclones I had in mind.

Thanks,
    -Chris

Thought this was an interesting idea. May buy one to hook to my table saw. Sells for about $100

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=5&tool=65115

This is the EXACT one I have and it does a great job. I replaced the 35 micron bag with a 1 micron from grizzly. Only gripe is that it fills up quick when planing, other than that it is great. I plan on getting a big delta soon, but this one is perfect for a smaller shop, it is powerful too.