Thread: Harbor Freight 23 ga pin nailer

Harbor Freight 23 ga pin nailer

I bought this and 10,000 pins for about $32 out the door. My first experience with a harbor freight nailer about 8 years ago caused me to sell it an immediately buy a porter cable.

I don't do much pinning, so I thought this would be OK for my needs. I've only tested it out on some scrap cherry moldings and maple, and it works well.

The only complaint I have is that it will leave a small dent on the wood after you shoot the pin if you don't hold the nailer at just the right angle. I would guess that if I spend $150 more on the grex, this problem wouldn't exist.

In all, I'm happy with the purchase. If I were to shoot more pins, I would spend the cash and get the better nailer (grex), but for the money you can't go wrong. If you don't have a pinner and the work of filling 18g nail holes has you thinking, don't hesitate to pick one up.

My BIL buys pneumatic staplers and files the hammer down until the staple drives proud 1/8". He then routes wire under the staples. I have been tempted to try the same thing with HF nailers to try tune them up a bit. They are so cheap, why not? Maybe that would work for the 23 guage pinner, too.

I'm pretty happy with mine too. I like it better than the Porter Cable because it will actually drive the pins past flush. You way overpaid though. I got mine for $16.

I had one and exchanged that for another and then returned that one for a refund. and bought a porter cable. I was installing some base board and some quarter round and both the guns from harbor freight kept jamming and left really large dents in the wood. Much larger than the head of the brad. The second one was not even putting out a brad half the time.
    I paid way less also. I would take it back and at least wait for it to go on sale. Or buy a different brand.

I bought one some time back for a job I will have to do and since I only anticipte "once in a blue moon" use for it I figured for $12.95 (plus 500 pins) the price was right.

I paid a whopping $13 for mine. I just wanted one to play with and see how useful it might be. So far, I have shot a few hundred pins without any misfires. Whenever it breaks, I will probably buy a name brand to replace it but for now, it works very well.

I have 18ga hf brad nailer that i put a piece of thin cardboard under when I need to prevent the indention you mention.You may want to see if that helps.

Blog Entries
    I've had my HF pin nailer for about 2 years now and not had a problem. In fact I can't believe I went so long with out a pin nailer.... can't remember what to do if it broke down.
    Have a Nice Day!

Rob Will Guest
    Hey you guys paid WAY too much, mine was on sale at HF for $8.99.

I'm not sure where it is because I always use my Spotnail pinner that I paid way too much for. Seems like it was close to $100. They look similar but the Spotnail is much better.

Rob

HF has TWO pnuematic pin nailers. Model 93636 has the tip safety that leaves an impression, but is more "kid" friendly (still don't leave them around the shop).

Model 95882 has the "trigger safety", which is a thin piece of metal, that you can easily hit out of the way when your hand is on the trigger, and proceed to create your own (one shot one pull), scene from Rambo, shooting pins across the room (make SURE YOU DON'T leave this out where kids can get access to it).

Mine is the type that has a trigger safety only, which is about as safe as having no safety at all. I wonder if the CPSC knows about this tool? Still, it works good if you are careful with it.

I have 95882 with the trigger safety. I shot some Rambo style into a carboard box. Kinda fun...

I did keep the reciept so that when it is on sale I can get a price adjust. The $32 included 2 boxes of pins too (like $5 total). I think the nailer was $25.

I really like the idea about putting thin piece of cardboard to prevent small dents. I will try that next time with some old playing cards.

My PC didn't have a safety at all either that I recall. Definitely didn't have the one on the tip. The regulations requiring the safety must stop at a certain fastener size.