Thread: Looking for a source of quality keyless drill chuck?

Looking for a source of quality keyless drill chuck?

I am about to purchase a Delta drill press, model 20-950 Variable speed.
    It comes with a standard Jacobs 5/8" keyed drill chuck on a Morris Taper #2 shank.
    I want to replace the keyed drill chuck with a quality keyless drill chuck in the same size (5/8").
    Ideally the Morris Taper #2 shank will be an INTEGRAL part of the keyless chuck.
    Has anyone experience with the no name brands that appear on eBAY? Or alternate quality unit that compares favourably with Albrecht and Jacobs who have what they call "High Precision" drill chucks which run around $300.
    For the wood worker I am, who will be doing occasional metal work these "High Precision drill chucks strike me as not a good match to the level of "run out" that the Delta drill press may have inherently in the spindle.
    If you have a source and experience to answer my question I would appreciate your response. Thank you.

I just saw one of these at a large woodshop. I commented on the nice keyless chuck in the Delta drill press (floor model, older), and the manager told me he bought it for $30 online--he told me where, and I forgot now. I tried it, and it was concentric and nice. It DID have a Morris Taper #2 built it--I looked at it closely as I have a Delta 950L just new this year, and wanted to see if this would fit. It appeared to me it would.

I will visit the shop again and try to remember to post the brand and where he bought it, maybe a pic.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

I have this one and it works well for me.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4851

George
    2B1ASK1

I also bought a keyless chuck from Woodcraft a couple of years ago. I don't see the same one in their catalog now, though. All I see are for MT3 and MT33 tapers.

Check Traver Tool Supply Co. https://www.travers.com/Default.asp
    They have Albrecht, Jacobs and a few others.

Since installing one on my press, I wouldn't go back. Not only ease of use, but no slippage ever and runout is actually less than with a keyed chuck!
    Jack Briggs
    Briggs Guitars

The taper is called "Morse".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Briggs View Post
    I also bought a keyless chuck from Woodcraft a couple of years ago. I don't see the same one in their catalog now, though. All I see are for MT3 and MT33 tapers.
    Actually, if I remember correctly, the MT33 is the taper in the top of the chuck itself. The shaft that goes into the drill press is an MT2 on one end (to go into the DP quill) and MT33 on the other to accept the chuck.

George
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    The taper is called "Morse".
    Actually no. While Morse invented the taper, drill presses typically use the Jacobs taper(s) which are slightly different size. See Wikipedia article for details if you are interested.

albrecht: There is only one

The best key-less chucks in the world.
    http://www.albrechtchucks.com/

I did read the Wikipedia article and it is in fact a Morse taper in the drill press and the arbor that fits in it. The Jacobs taper is the fit between the chuck and the double ended arbor. The arbor has Morse taper on one end and Jacobs on the other. I interchange the chucks between my DP and my PM 3520B as both use the Morse #2 taper.

BTW:My first post was to correct the spelling from "Morris" to "Morse".

Thom,
    I was going to put my two cents in about the J33 taper not being a Morse Taper on the chuck side but you beat me to it. There is the J33 to MT2 adapter.
    David B

Special tools needed?

I have been seriously thinking about going to a keyless chuck also. Hate fooling with a key everytime.Are there any special tools needed to swap out a chuck (gear puller or something?) I've never done one before.Thanks,Barry

Thank you all. I'll explore the sources. Thank you also for the correct spelling of Morse. Far to often we do not give credit to those that pioneered advancements in all fields.

MSC Industrial Supply

MSC Industrial Supply (www.mscdirect.com) has a broad selection of keyless chucks by several manufacturers. As their name implies, they supply machinery, tools, parts, hardware and materials to industry, so their stuff is generally high quality. They sell to anybody, including me, and there is no minimum quantity or amount required for an order. They ship fast, seldom back order and I've always been satisfied with their merchandise. Ask them to send you their "Big Book." It's a 5" thick catalog that is a great reference for all things industrial.

McMaster Carr is another industrial supplier, but I don't do much business with them, so I can't comment. Many others recommneded McMaster Carr for this kind of thing.

For keyless the Albrecht chucks are the way to go, though not necessary for woodworking tolerances, and very pricey. As a cheaper but comparable alternative I would suggest you look at Rohm (German) or the new precision SPi (Import) keyless chucks. They may not be exactly as smooth, or hold precise tolerances as well over time, but are less than half the cost of an Albrecht.

Right now Enco has a sale on most all of their drill chucks

SPi 1/8-5/8 Regular 89.95 for $79.95

Rohm 1/8-5/8 Regular 106.00 for $76.95

Both these chucks are J6 taper, so you would need a MT2 to J6 arbor which run around $12.00.

Also Enco is owned by the MSC parent company, they just market the two differently, and Enco doesn't carry as wide an array of parts. Enco prices tend to be 10% cheaper than for the same item from MSC.

plan to spend around 150.00 then. lower then that and your getting into the ok to junky range. I have a couple and they are ok but when I spent 150.00 or so on one from msc it is so much nicer.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing