Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

I got a $75 gift certificate for Lie Nielsen for my birthday. I looked through the catalog and there's hardly anything available for that price. Of course I can add my own money, but I'm not sure if that's what I want.

I'm a Timex or maybe Seiko kind of guy. Lie Nielsen looks like Rolex to me.

I'd really like a low angle block plane, but the Lee Valley looks like a better deal for me without any compromise on quality? All my planes now are refurbished Stanleys. Am I crazy. If I had a Lie Nielsen, I'd be afraid to use it.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

You could possibly use it to purchase some replacements irons for your current bench planes. This would allow you to back bevel one set for steeper pitch's, and experiment with York, or full pitch angles on exotics.

Do you need LN? Nah, of course not, but they really are nice planes and chisels. I promise that you'll use them if you buy them.

With your gift certificate:

Lee Valley low angle block plane: $129
    Lie-Nielsen low angle adjustable mouth block plane: $75 ($150 minus your gift certificate)

Looks like you save $54 by getting a Lie-Nielsen.

Blog Entries

Terrific problem !

Hi John,
    I have been happy with my pair of Veritas handplanes, and will continue
    to buy more. There are two items in the LN catalog I kinda have my eye on.....

-nice dovetail handsaw
    -small chisel plane to fettle glue out of corners

My homework shows both of these to be considered among the best available,
    and among their lower priced offerings.
    You would not have to kick in too much more out of pocket for either
    of those beauties.
    Good luck with your 'dilema',
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

I have their low angle rabbet block plane and use it on almost every project. It works great for trimming tenons, adjusting rabbets, and anywhere I would have used a regular low angle block plane. I sold my other low angle block plane because I never used it anymore--so using Wilbur's logic you could come out in the $25 range if you have another LA block plane to sell.

I always say to buy at least one Lie-Nielsen to see what a plane can do. Sounds like this is your perfect opportunity.

But the Veritas planes are very nearly as good, so if you're somebody who gets pleasure out of (relative) bargains, I'd recommend doing that.

As in so many of these tool-buying decisions, you really can't go wrong.

I am also a Timex kind of buyer and have been happy with hand-me-down almost vintage Stanleys. I am concerned that stepping too close to the abyss could threaten my budget. I have been using old scrapers for finishing quite a bit lately, and I have read here on SMC that the LN scrapers are the best around and may be priced within the gift certificate range.Be careful of your footing as you get closer to the abyss!!

You can't go wrong with a LN 60 1/2 or a 60 1/2R.

I also use mine for pretty much any project I do. And I love the logic about getting a LN for only $75.00. Let us know which way you go.

John, A Lie Nielsen works better than a Rolex and periodic servicing is much less (a Rolex service is $350 every 5 years or so). Get yourself the Lie Nielsen low angle, adjustable mouth, block plane. It's a fantastic plane that ends up being used on most projects.

Could sell the gift certificate for something in the $70 range and then buy whatever you want. Who knows, you might be able to find someone who was going to make a LN purchase anyway and would give you full value for it.

Just a thought.

Thumbs up

john, i felt the same way until i put a ln plane in my hand and instantly knew i had to have one. i bought the 60-1/2 low angle adj block plane and it's just a joy to use. go for it you wont regret your decision.

another vote for the LN low angle adj block plane; feels great in my hand. no reason to be afraid to use it, just take care of it as you would your other planes and don't lend it to a neighbor who wants to clean up paint drippings. the rest of my planes are old stanleys and miller falls that I inherited from dad and uncle and they are great to use.

I have a number of Lie Nielsen planes and am very happy with each one..most of them I have acquired second hand, so I didn't have the "sticker shock" you are feeling. I would look at it as a chance to add something to your toolbox which may encourage you to try something you haven't attempted before or if you have, try to do it in a different way. I would also look at adding tools that may be unique to Lie Nielsen. In that case some of their inlay tools may be beneficial. If inlay isn't of interest then I would think you could get a lot of value from their 97 1/2 chisel plane. Another good option would be a pair of side rabbet planes (the 98 and 99 which are better versions of the Stanley 98/99). You could also get a set of their cabinet scrapers in a leather wallet (although I think there are better ones out there for less)...heck everyone needs a scraper...
    Last edited by Rich Schneider; 01-24-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Do I really want Lie Nielsen?
    Of course you do. Now get out there and buy one.

On a serious note, I also recommend the adjustable mouth block. I own one and I use it all the time.

Pete

Yes you do!

I have 2 Lie Nielson planes and use them on almost every project. The adj. mouth block plane is on the bench ready to go all the time. It is ALWAYS a pleasure to use a fine quality tool. Lee Valley also makes good stuff. I bought the Lie Nielsons as presents for my wife, who is also a good woodworker. She LOVES them, and won't use anything else. (Yes we have stepped off the edge and are full committed to the abyss!) But it IS a really nice ride. We plan on a rabbit plane buy as well. NO we WON'T buy the screwdrivers...we won't, we won't, we won't!
    Bill J