Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cole View Post
    Corvin,
    It's not "need" or else we'd have to admit having problems, . . .
    Yes, I agree with Jim this is plane crazy . . .
    Greg/ I think "need" is probably correct . . :-) , at least for some of us,
    as long is its woodworking we are talking about.

I've spent the last few days free time reading ALL these posts on "first planes".
    Well, I've decided that instead of buying a Stanley 12-960 from the borg, or buying an older Stanley 60 1/2 and putting a Hock blade in it (remember this is for my first plane), I just bought the Iron LN 102 for $64.50.
    I think that would even make Marcus proud. <g>
    My reasoning was this was very comparable in price to an older plane and a new blade.
    And like others have said, I'll have a benchmark.
    I'd like to thank everyone for their postings and being very generous with their advice, it sure helped me!
    - Jim

I hate to bring up this old thread, but after using my new plane on a few projects, I've got more information.

The Lie Nielsen has become my default go-to plane. Any of my planes can be set up to work very well, but the ease of adjustment and consistent results I get with this little guy make it a joy to work with. I sometimes use it when I should be using a smooth plane and I have been know to work end grain just for my own entertainment.

I can quickly and reliably change from taking a transparent sliver off of end grain, or I can open it up and make a decent chamfer in three or four strokes. I haven't sharpened it yet and it's still smooth as silk. In fact, I haven't even disassembled it to clean it out and keep it working smoothly. It hasn't needed it. My hand fits perfectly to the shiny brass surface and it can be worked with two hands when needed.

So, in summary, I feel like the Lie Nielsen was a better value than I did before.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

John, I am trying to sort through the thousands of posts in this thread. Which Lie Nielsen did you end up with?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm thinking he went for the adjustable mouth block plane. Just a guess. And if so, I agree it's very nice to use for multiple tasks.

I'll also take this opportunity to say that, in spite of several threads and or blogs I've seen about the LN chisel plane being a 'paperweight,' over a year's time mine has come in handy on more occasions that I can count, and couldn't think of a better tool to use on those occasions. I'll be posting pictures of it in use on my somewhat unorthodox pergola project.

Jack is right. I got the "Lie Nielsen 60 ½ Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane."

A while back I had reported
    Overall, I’ve got to say that I’m a bit disappointed. I hoped to hear birds singing and to learn that I had been missing the good stuff all these years. Instead, I have a very well made tool which does its job just like it should. I’ll keep watching garage sales and flea markets and slowly, I’ll fettle a good collection into shape. If my financial situation changes one day, then maybe I’ll buy another Lie-Nielsen.
    I still don't know about making the birds sing more sweetly, but I do think that in my review above, I had not given the Lie Nielsen the credit it deserves.

I also think I was confused before in one of my analogies. I said that I am a Timex or Seiko kind of guy and that the Lie Nielsen was a Rolex. I think instead that the kind of planes which you can buy new nowadays at a home center for $20 - $30 are equivalent to the kind of wrist watch that has no brand name and comes sealed in plastic. A Lie Nielsen is more like a really good Seiko or Citizen - a watch that should last forever if given reasonable care.

Used and refurbished planes are another story and at least the ones I have refurbished do not come up to the adjustability and consistent ease of use I have found with this block plane.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I own a ton of Stanley's but do own a two LNs
    I have a 140 and a 73

Either one of those would be a good pick or a few new blades is another selection...
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Musings on Lie Nielsen and the the slippery slope

As David Charlesworth pointed out long ago in his article on tuning a block plane, planes from Stanley, Record, etc, are really kits not ready to work properly by a long shot. Lie-Nielsen gives you a truly quality casting with superior machining, which greatly simplifies getting a plane to the "gold standard" in performance. It feels great in your hands and performs great. The fact it looks great and will long outlive us is an added bonus! Same old story in life....pay me now...or pay me later....just your choice on how you choose to part the hair! I was an early purchaser of Lie-Nielsen planes, primarily of the Low Angle variety and after nearly 20 years have got to say I love them, so they stand the test of time for me! I also own a stable of Stanley planes I have been slowly refurbishing and have got to say the Lie Nielsen planes are great value when I consider my time and money to get them into shape. I much prefer to use my planes to do things with that get great results in the hardwoods I predominately use, rather than working on the planes themselves most of the time, though it does have its charm when you are redoing an old classic. Some people love to collect tools and rumor has it there may be one or 2 here like that. I understand the mentality as I have slipped further down the slippery slope, but making things with wood is really my goal, so Lie Nielsen hits the mark all the way around and gives great value on many levels. Thanks for giving us your impressions as you journey down this path to woodworking nirvana....great thread everyone!

Wow!!

This thread is back. Way Cool!!!!

We covered a lot of ground with this one. Planes, plane restoration, beer, brown liquor, tequila, sausage, home brewing, and other topics.

Looks like we all made it through winter, and everyone is back in the shop, 'cept me. I'm in the bathroom, or at least someday it will be a bathroom again., I hope.

I still gotta make it down Texas way for some sausage and tequila. A Reposada was recommended, IIRC.

John thanks for the revisit, and your observation of the LN 60 1/2. I agree it's a nice plane.

Glad to hear you are happy with your decision, John. That's a great plane.