Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

The LN 102 (Iron Low Angle Block Plane) is in that range--$75. It doesn't have an adjustable mouth, but I have heard several experienced woodworkers say they like its smaller size--i.e., it easier to control one-handed.

I've owned the bronze low angle block plane (102) for a couple of years, and I use it almost every time I'm in the shop. It's a great tool for a variety of tasks. The iron version is only $75 according to the LN website. Check it out:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1221

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Do I really want Lie Nielsen?
    Absolutely not. Wanna sell a $75 used gift certificate for $35

There's always the DVDs, etc. that they have.
    Use the fence Luke

If there is a future woodworking show that you will be attending and LN is exhibiting, they give a ten percent discount with free shipping when you order one of there planes at the show. With your $75 gift certificate, you could have their low angle block plane for sixty bucks. They also give the discount when you purchase at their store in Warren Maine. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Go for it.

my$.02

Both the LV and the LN low angle block planes are excellent. The only major difference (to me) is that the LV plane is a bit bigger (mostly wider). Because of that, I find that the LN plane fits my hand better.

But that's the only reason - technically both are excellent.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Both the LV and the LN low angle block planes are excellent. The only major difference (to me) is that the LV plane is a bit bigger (mostly wider). Because of that, I find that the LN plane fits my hand better.

But that's the only reason - technically both are excellent.

Mike
    I'll second that. I've had both and the LN fit better. Although I liked the mouth adjustment on the LV better.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

7. I wish I had this problem.....

seriously, though, one of the lower priced and very useful item is the hand countersink tool. I bought one and use it all the time, very handy...

side rabbet planes (the 98 and 99
    cabinet scrapers in a leather wallet
    60-1/2 low angle adj block plane
    LN 60 1/2 or a 60 1/2R
    the LN scrapers
    low angle rabbet block plane
    dovetail handsaw
    small chisel plane
    replacements irons for your current bench planes
    LN low angle adj block plane
    97 1/2 chisel plane
    adjustable mouth block
    bronze low angle block plane (102)
    the LN low angle block plane . . . fits my hand better
    I've had both and the LN fit better
    very useful item is the hand countersink too
    Hey little boy, want some candy?

I guess the opinion here is unanimous. If I was given a Lie Nielsen gift card, it was a sign that I gotta do the right thing and go top of the line at least once in my life.

The adjustable mouth block plane 60 1/2 is the most highly recommended above,

and it is a thing of beauty.

I am also tempted by the 60 1/2R

because I could also use it on tenons and shoulders. But part of me says that it is a multi-purpose tool and that makes it a compromise tool, so it must not be as good and this is a time to get a tool which is just right.

Which way should I go?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

To me, Bridge City Toolworks is a Rolex. I would love to have some of their tools, but the price says no. Otherwise, I would be happy with Lie Nielson. I have a couple of their tools now, and I like them very much. Good quality for the money.

Regards, Colin
    Where's the beef.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    But part of me says that it is a multi-purpose tool and that makes it a compromise tool, so it must not be as good and this is a time to get a tool which is just right.

Which way should I go?
    I think you're right on that one. The rabbet block is nice, but only if you have an adjustable mouth block already.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I bought the 102. Its $95 and the 102I (iron) is $75. Very happy with it and use it constantly. That said, I will buy a larger, adjustable mouth plane next.

Go with the 60 1/2. It's very well made, works extremely well, is comfortable to use, and can take a fair amount of abuse. It is the one plane everyone should have in their tool box.

Yeah, it's true,$75 won't get you much with LN. But they do have some options other than tools. Books,videos, sharpening stuff, t-shirts. If you can't use it, you know where to send it. I bought the LN LA block plane after I held it. It just fit my hand better than the Lee Valley. I think they have the straight handled dovetail saw for about that much. Still have to fork over for shipping though...
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I've been able to afford several LN planes and to be honest the pure pleasure of having and touching something so gorgeous is worth the fee. The bronze 4 1/2 smoother is just...... nice.

Everyone deserves something special occasionally. Perhaps this is a chance to enjoy one special thing for less outlay than normal.
    Smile. It worries the other guy.

Yup, you do. Regardless of which shape it is or what its function is, you want it. Need it... no.... but you won't regret it unless you regret buying quality you can give to the next generation of WW'er. I have a couple LN's and my little dude will get them someday, if he wants them.
    The slidedown that hill is enjoyable..... we'll give you a puch to get going... err already given I think.

Greg