Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really want Lie Nielsen?

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    I am also tempted by the 60 1/2R because I could also use it on tenons and shoulders. But part of me says that it is a multi-purpose tool and that makes it a compromise tool, so it must not be as good and this is a time to get a tool which is just right.
    No, the reason not to get a multi-purpose tool is that if you do, you lose the excuse you'll need to buy another tool later on.

Never embark on a train of thought that leads you to buying fewer tools.

Thom Sturgill's and Danny Thompson's suggestion is a good one. I've owned a bronze LN 102 for 6 or 7 years. It quickly became one of my favorite tools and my block plane of choice over several others in my shop. Last Fall I was in the LN store and succumbed to the charms of their adjustable low angle block plane (the 60 1/2). I bought and I like it very much. But the little bronze 102 is still my favorite. I reach for it even when the LN 60 1/2 is laying on the bench right beside it. The 102 will introduce you to LN quality without breaking your budget.
    My $.02
    Hank
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 01-25-2008 at 5:07 PM.

It's a trap!!!!!
    Once you buy a LN you will never be happy with anything else!

Quick find someone else to give the certificate to before it's too late!

Any takers?

Just a comment on using the LN 60 1/2R to trim tenons. You can do that, but the LV medium shoulder plane is soooo much better for that application, especially trimming shoulders. The "R" is just a bit too big to work well in that application.

Personally, I would not purchase a 60 1/2R to use as a regular block plane. Because the blade protudes out the side, you can scar up some wood without intending to. You can also scar up your hand if you're not careful. I have a 60 1/2R and tried to use it as a regular block plane. I soon bought the regular 60 1/2.

But if you are going to buy the 60 1/2R, have LN add the nickers to it. It'll make it easier to cut rabbets, especially cross grain. LN charged me $25 to add the nickers some time after I bought the plane (had to ship it back to them). It might be a bit less expensive if you get the nickers as part of the original purchase.

Mike

[added note] I want to second Hank Knight's suggestion of the bronze 102. I have one and it's a great plane - feels good in your hand and works well.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-25-2008 at 8:39 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Giersberg View Post
    To me, Bridge City Toolworks is a Rolex. I would love to have some of their tools, but the price says no. Otherwise, I would be happy with Lie Nielson. I have a couple of their tools now, and I like them very much. Good quality for the money.
    There are a bunch of plane makers out there that make exquisite planes that make LN planes look like an old Stanley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Lie Nielsen low-angle block plane. Paid the full $150.

Worth every penny, even if you're just using it to do general/trim carpentry projects. So much better than the crappy "Buck Bros." plane I got at Home Depot a few years ago. You really get what you pay for with their block planes.

Jason

I got a $75 gift certificate for Lie Nielsen for my birthday. I looked through the catalog and there's hardly anything available for that price. Of course I can add my own money, but I'm not sure if that's what I want.

I'm a Timex or maybe Seiko kind of guy. Lie Nielsen looks like Rolex to me.

I'd really like a low angle block plane, but the Lee Valley looks like a better deal for me without any compromise on quality? All my planes now are refurbished Stanleys. Am I crazy. If I had a Lie Nielsen, I'd be afraid to use it.

WARNING!! Keep in mind that the rabbet block plane, though pretty, does NOT have an adjustable mouth. I found this out the hard way.

Jason

Hey little boy, want some candy?

I guess the opinion here is unanimous. If I was given a Lie Nielsen gift card, it was a sign that I gotta do the right thing and go top of the line at least once in my life.

The adjustable mouth block plane 60 1/2 is the most highly recommended above,

and it is a thing of beauty.

I am also tempted by the 60 1/2R

because I could also use it on tenons and shoulders. But part of me says that it is a multi-purpose tool and that makes it a compromise tool, so it must not be as good and this is a time to get a tool which is just right.

Which way should I go?

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot View Post
    There are a bunch of plane makers out there that make exquisite planes that make LN planes look like an old Stanley.
    Probably true, but at what cost? Are they second mortage material?
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

You need to feel the L-N low-angle block plane in your hand...and you'll never want to let go! I glad I bought mine. The Veritas planes are also very nice and I assure you that I have some of those on my list. But no regrets here for my first "good" plane being from L-N!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, I have several Lie Nelson's..and love everyone of them. I look forward to using them. The block plane was my first. I am working on a long term collection of them. I I would get the Lie, and never look back!! A good plane collection is priceless in my mind.
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Anyone ever bought them from the craftsmanstudio dot com? Pric is $135 for the LN 60.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Anyone ever bought them from the craftsmanstudio dot com? Pric is $135 for the LN 60.5.
    I've bought from them - no problems, good people - recommended.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons View Post
    Probably true, but at what cost? Are they second mortage material?
    Look at $100/inch of length. A 9" long smoother may start a $900 and climb from there. Look at Karl Holtey, Darryl Hutchinson and Wayne Anderson for some amazing works of art that also cut wood very smooth ( . . . some day when my ship comes in . . . )

The Stanley block plane with the adjustable mouth will serve you almost as well as the LN. Just make sure you spend the time to flatten the sole of the plane, the back of the blade, and sharpen the bevel. Flattening and sharpening are far more important than the difference between the good Stanley and the LN.

The LN smoothing planes, jointers, etc., really are sweet, and you will never regret getting any LN product. There is a noticeable difference in quality -- not just a jyped vanity brand. To begin with, LNs arrive almost perfectly flat and sharp (they still should be flattened and sharpened), so there is MUCH less effort getting it ready. They're usable right out of the box. This applies to their block planes, too. As a minimum, there is a definite trade off of your effort versus the cost of the LN.

Ridiculous, buy replacement irons for stanleys. Seriously, the wood doesn't care what label is on the plane. Spend your money on stanleys, buy replacement blades if you absolutely can't stand the thought of having a blade that isn't ... whatever (hint - the vintage stanleys work fine if you know how to sharpen) and the money you would have spent on a LN - invest it. If I had a 75$ gift certificate to LN I'd buy a honing guide and some stones.