Thread: Two-wire 220V/9A switch & wiring

Two-wire 220V/9A switch & wiring

I'm looking for some advice on what type of ON-OFF switch to get for a two-wire + ground 220V/9A circuit to my 1.5hp cyclone motor. How is such a switch wired? Is a double pole switch required (i.e. one pole for each of the two hot wires)?

Thanks,
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Bryan, you need a double pole 250v 20a switch if you are going to do it on the wall, but the easiest way to handle it is to use a remote on/off system, such as the X10-based unit like Oneida sells (what I use) or the LongRanger from PSI. That makes for a more convenient and flexible solution for controlling your DC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. Just the info I was after. Will fire it up tomorrow!
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Mr. Peacock has a nice write-up on his site for making your own remote switch for a DC and it really is pretty straight-forward...even for a novice electrician. I'm sure he'll post it here but it involves a 240V/30 A contactor with a basic remote outdoor light switch to control the 120 V coil on it (the contactor). Slap it all in a box and you're good to go.

With Dennis opening my eyes as to the sheer beaty of contactors, I am finally replacing my PITA 24-hour mechanical timers on my pool with a cheapie 24 Vac sprinkler timer (7-day timer...more versatile switching). I have two 240 V contactors with a 24 V coil on them. Works great!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.