Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modding your 1-stage DC for cleaner filters (Workshops)

I sure appreciate all the feedback. This forum is a real asset. I hope I am not getting too off topic by raising the question: Why are all these dust collectors designed to carry the debris through the impeller and then forced through the filter unlike most other vacuum designs that filter the air first? I hate the idea of installing a floor sweep then hearing small blocks of wood, screws, nails, etc. going through the impeller.

I am sorry to be so clueless here, Is the consensus to have a neutral vane, or delete it?
    Last edited by Edward Warren; 06-16-2008 at 9:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Warren View Post
    I am sorry to be so clueless here, Is the consensus to have a neutral vane, or delete it?
    If you're going to use a baffle inside the DC ring, then lose the neutral vane.

Thanks Phil.

OK, now another perhaps overly detailed question:

I have the 2hp Grizzly G1029Z and have upgraded the filter to the Canister filter. This unit's specs show a capacity of 1550 CFM.

I have noticed that the next model up the Grizzly line, the G0548 which is also 2hp, shows a capacity of 1700CFM.

When I inquired about this difference in capacity they mentioned the motor and the impeller are the same between the two units, but the connection from the impeller to the separator offered more flow since it is a one piece all steel pipe that is smooth inside.

OK, that's fine, but when I measure my flex-pipe that runs between the impeller and the separator on the 1029, it measures about 5" in diameter, not the 6" diameter that is on the intake side of the impeller. From observing the images of these two machines, the G0548 seems to have a 5"x6" rectangular connection here which is about the equivalent of a 6" diameter round pipe…again - larger than the 1029.

This is getting long...sorry...

So my question here is - have others noticed a smaller hose/pipe between the impeller and the separator on some units?

And - has anyone tried increasing the diameter of this pipe? (I am thinking of putting a 6" solid pipe on mine to match the intake side of the machine as well as the size of the G0548 model)?

Quote Originally Posted by j milana View Post
    I sure appreciate all the feedback. This forum is a real asset. I hope I am not getting too off topic by raising the question: Why are all these dust collectors designed to carry the debris through the impeller and then forced through the filter unlike most other vacuum designs that filter the air first? I hate the idea of installing a floor sweep then hearing small blocks of wood, screws, nails, etc. going through the impeller.
    I would never recommend a floor sweep on a single stage DC for just this reason , In my shop that is what the shop vac is used for. Besides that I can reach into corners & other small places with a shop vac that a broom will not get into.

I also wrap the vac filter with a panty hose top to help keep the pleated filter clean.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

So my question here is - have others noticed a smaller hose/pipe between the impeller and the separator on some units?

And - has anyone tried increasing the diameter of this pipe? (I am thinking of putting a 6" solid pipe on mine to match the intake side of the machine as well as the size of the G0548 model)?
    I think the size discrepancy is fairly typical, and I have read a post over at woodnet by a guy that has done exactly what you describe. If you can't find it PM me and I'll help ya.

I couldn't find the post you are referring to, but I think I am going to mod my machine to the 6” anyway...especially considering the size of the inlet on the next model up their line.

Furthermore, I plan on moving the separator up and directly above the blower. This will give me a smaller footprint to fit in a corner closet in my shop/garage while keeping my inlet low and straight…I hope.

Of course I will also be putting in one of your baffles…hopefully that will be the end of my dust problems and I can move on to projects that are more fun.

I’ll post images once I get done if you want…likely in about two weeks because of my workload.

I couldn't find the post you are referring to, but I think I am going to mod my machine to the 6” anyway...especially considering the size of the inlet on the next model up their line.

Furthermore, I plan on moving the separator up and directly above the blower. This will give me a smaller footprint to fit in a corner closet in my shop/garage while keeping my inlet low and straight…I hope.

Of course I will also be putting in one of your baffles…hopefully that will be the end of my dust problems and I can move on to projects that are more fun.

I’ll post images once I get done if you want…likely in about two weeks because of my workload.
    Edward
    If I understand you right your going to have a 6" outlet out of the impeller housing going into a separator & probably a 6" outlet out of the separator?

If this is so don't plan on keeping the chips & dust in the separator they will get blown right through & into the DC bag. As I understand it most separators with intakes & exhausts over 4" don't retain the chips & dust in the container.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I think you're misunderstanding me -

I am just going to change the 5" flex-hose to a single 6" diameter solid pipe going between the blower unit (impeller) and the separator. The filter and bag on the separator will remain standard issue and standard size of about 19" to 20" in diameter.

This will require some metal working on the blower outlet as well as the separator inlet to accommodate the 6" pipe.
    Last edited by Edward Warren; 06-17-2008 at 9:58 PM.

Thanks for clearing that up Edward.

I have seen where the impeller housing was raised up on a support & shot straight into the bag rim causing better cfm.

If the separator ring inlet and the impeller outlet each have a 5" inlet, what good would it do running 6" hose between them? It's only about 2 feet long. I agree with the observation that it is silly for the impeller to have a smaller outlet than inlet. It should be larger.

Smooth walled would help, but 6" pipe smooth or not would require a 6" outlet from the impeller and a 6" inlet to the separator. At that point, you'd might as well build your own DC.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Romano View Post
    If the separator ring inlet and the impeller outlet each have a 5" inlet, what good would it do running 6" hose between them? It's only about 2 feet long. I agree with the observation that it is silly for the impeller to have a smaller outlet than inlet. It should be larger.

Smooth walled would help, but 6" pipe smooth or not would require a 6" outlet from the impeller and a 6" inlet to the separator. At that point, you'd might as well build your own DC.

David
    George Lesniak has some pics of his ring at Woodnet. It appears he modified his ring with a 6" inlet (replacing the 5") and that the blower's square/rectangular outlet accomodated the 6" hard pipe.

He did a nice job, too. Can't really tell he changed the ring except the new inlet is made from spiral pipe.

The thread is titled "Dust collection system instalation [sic] thread" if anyone wants to see the pics.

I look for it some more Phil - thanks.

David - Like I mentioned, there will be some metalwork to do, but not nearly as much as starting from scratch. Fortunately, I have a small welder although thin metals are challenging.

The reason to go bigger by an inch is simple airflow. The cross-sectional area of the 5" hose is 19.6" whereas the 6" is 28.3". That's about a 44% increase.

Remember that I need to modify this anyway in order to fit in the location I want.

So, you are increasing the size of the outlet of the impeller and the inlet to the separator ring?

David

Yes David – exactly.

I found it Phil - Thanks.

What George did is exactly what I have in mind including your baffle. Great minds think alike - right?

The only exception is that I intend to have the blower on the bottom and build a small platform so the bag/separator/filter will be directly above the blower. This will make my footprint small enough to fit inside my closet, albeit the whole arrangement will be tall. Quite an effort to fit it where I want it…I know.

I thought about putting the blower/ducting on top but I ultimately felt that this would complicate my installation as well as clutter the look of my shop/garage with all that ducting being overhead and hanging from the ceiling.

The only downside of having the blower and main ducts low is that I’ll have to step over a single duct going to my table saw, and have another duct for over the blade of the TS. Otherwise, all the ductwork should end up along one wall along the floor.

I also think this way I might end up with a more efficient arrangement since the only time I will be asking the duct and debris to go up against gravity will be in this 6” duct between the blower and separator and that duct over the TS blade. Otherwise, everything is traveling down or across laterally.

I can’t wait until this job is over. Hopefully I won’t have to think about this anymore.