Thread: Sanding segmented turnings of vastly different colors?

Sanding segmented turnings of vastly different colors?

When sanding a segmented turning (of say, a maple, a walnut and padauk) on the lathe, how do you deal with/avoid/prevent discoloration of the lighter species by a darker one, or the bleed of the red into the others?

Good luck I will let a segementer answer but will warn you Padauk wood actually has a natural dye in it which makes it very hard to not get bleeding.

I learned this the hardway after making a padauk and maple chess board.
    Mike Vickery

Blog Entries
    I'll chime in on this one If you look at the vessel i just finished you'll see that I had to overcome that very same issue. The key is to sand from light wood to dark wood. Move your paper to a clean spot constantly and go through sandpaper like someone else is paying for it. No other way that I know of.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I'm asking...

Would it help to apply a sanding sealer before sanding with even your coarsest grit? I would think the sealer might reduce the bleeding of the dark into the light. I don't know, cause I've never tried it.

Ok....to simplify because I rarely use padauk...
    If I were to do something in maple (or light colored species) and walnut...??

Chris, first you would be wise to avoid using padauk. With most of my segmented work, I rarely sand raw wood. I use my lathe tools to create the best surface possible (shear scraping). Then I apply sanding sealer. Currently my favorite is Bullseye Universal. It dries quickly, so after an hour or so, I shear-scrape the sealer off using a hand-held cabinet style scraper. I repeat this process numerous times (3 to 5) until the wood pores are fully filled. By that time, the surface only needs light sanding starting with 220-grit (or even 320). With the pores filled, colored wood dust has no place to hide. I've even finished a few pieces this way without ever sanding at all. In this photo, the front right-hand piece of Madagascar rosewood and birdseye maple was never sanded. This type of rosewood was so full of colored extractives that I couldn’t apply sanding sealer without the color running. So I simply applied very light coats of spray Deft until the surface was sealed. I did the cabinet scraper trick between coats, but never sanded it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The only ones I've sanded with completely mixed species were maple and cherry. No problems there. I did also do a maple and paduak segmented pen that I sanded without obvious issue.

I did do a trophy in maple with a paduak accent ring at the top that I sanded without issue. I was very concerned as I like to wet sand 320 and up with MS. But no bleeding problems.

Use 3 different pcs. of sand paper, one for the light, one for the med. and one for the dark wood.

Blog Entries
    I have some of that sealer. I'll have to try it next time.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

sanding & natural edged woods with light/dark colors

I have encountered a similar problem with natural edged bowls--especially when a darker bark covers a lighter outer layer of wood and a darker inner layer of wood. (Silver maple & cherry for example). Often I sand along the outer wood/bark layer by hand to avoid crossing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'll have to try the sanding sealer.