Thread: Shop Built Downdraft Table

Shop Built Downdraft Table

I am trying to limit my exposure to airbourne dust since I have a basement shop. I now spend more time in the shop than I ever have. I have replaced my cheapo Delta dust collector with the Grizzly G0548 cannister collector. This is a huge step in the right direction, but I need a downdraft table. Since Im out of floor space, I want to build a downdraft box that I can hook to my collector and when I dont need it, move it out of the way. I am just going to sit it on the bench, so it just needs to be a simple box with a 4" DC connection. Has anybody built one and can show me some pics and give me some pointers? I realize its not a complicated project.
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 01-25-2008 at 4:13 PM.

So far my down draft table is the 4" dc hose at my router table backed up by the 4" hose from my table saw. I aim the collection port from my random orbit sander in the direction of the hoses. It helps quite a bit.

If I were going to make a down draft table I would make it vertical in stead of horizontal. It wouldn't be a table but a recessed barrier with a 4" collection port on each side. Kinda like the shape of a portable spray booth that could be placed next to the work piece.

Our fellow SMC member, Terry Hatfield, has this to offer on his website along with other interesting ideas...

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot431.shtml

-Jeff