Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do with scrap wood?

I just gave 3 large boxes of "scrap wood" to a friend who burns it in his basement wood stove.

Larry

The OP is talking about "Plywood"; so turning, fireplace, etc. don't work too well. Just thought I would try to clarify for future posters.

Edit: He does mention scrap in general I guess, so maybe he is not restricting his question to just plywood. My bad!
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 01-26-2008 at 12:10 PM.

I've started sorting my plywood and solid wood scrap into two 55gal plastic drums with the tops cut off. When I generate it unless its reasonably useful it goes straight to the bins, but I cut it into <1' lengths first. Every project seems to generate a pile of the tiny bits you occasionally need, but if not I can always dig through the drums (rarely happens.) The plywood I burn in our fire pit outside when we aren't sitting around it. The solid wood becomes campfire starter and firewood when its not too much of a hassle to haul it to a campground with us. It burns easy and hot to keep us warm on fall camping trips.

I use the plastic containers that my tools came in to store scraps.

Seriously, I save a few small plywood scraps for test cuts.
    Other than that, I only save plywood scraps that are at least 12" long.

Then every once in a while, I'll build a bunch of small cabinets/spice racks out of them.

For hardwood, I have a pile underneath a bench. Every once in awhile, I cut them up into blocks and the kids spend an afternoon painting them, which they really enjoy.

My wife's aunt and uncle have a fireplace as their central heating, so I haul a binful over from time to time. I also find them useful for test pieces for finishes, and test cuts on the router table. But I try not to keep too many lying around. Just adds more clutter to an already small shop.

send them to us

if you have any interesting scraps you would hate to throw away, send them to us! we can negotiate compensation.

we use scraps of wood to make belt buckles - which we sell online and at festivals. we started out using scraps to make photo frames, then we had scraps from that, so we started thinking what can you do with smaller scraps?

and came up with this idea:

I just finished installing a Brazilian Koa hardwood floor in my basement and I have lots of scraps. I decided to try turning a pen or 2 and they came out really nice. Unfortunately I gave all of them away at Christmas so I don't have any pictures. I have enough Koa to turn thousands of pens!