Thread: Record Lathe deal

Blog Entries

Record Lathe deal

Is this a good lathe for a beginner and intermediate turner?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...fcode=08IN01NL

I want to get a couple of lathes, one for me to replace my HF with more capacity and slower speed, and one for my uncle.

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Blog Entries
    Awww, nuts!

Wrong lathe. I thought this was a different Record lathe. This one only has 3 speeds and isn't as slow as I'd like. I want to be able to do platters and some larger bowls, but this doesn't look like it will handle it.

Oh, well. Maybe someone will see this post and this will fit them.

Comments still welcome...

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Problems:

1- I think that the lathes with 2-rod beds just give more play and more vibrations. Definitley go with one with a solid cast iron bed.

2- I'd go variable speed. THe ability to start slow to rough something out, and then go faster for sanding and finishing is a plus.

Greg,

I have one and love it. It is extremely quiet and vibration free. It would be a great beginner lather for smaller projects. However, its throw is 9 inches or less and it is really made for spindle turning instead of bowls and platters. The lathe is well built but no frills.

The price at $199 is just OK. I bought mine new off ebay for $99 plus $25 shipping from a fellow in Nevada who was selling off the last of the English made lathes (they are made in China now). Mine was new in the box but dated 1998. I wonder if my source did'nt sell off the rest of his stock to Woodcrafters.

You can call or email Ken at Napa Valley Gardener if you are still interested in the Record Power.
    Phone: 800-982-3158, Fax: 800-933-1563 Email: info@napavalleygardener.com

Good luck
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

Greg, I've never ran one. The discount sounds good. Faults to me would be the 3/4-16 thread and #1 MT. Regular price range I'd go with the jet 1220. more speeds and will be out soon with VS for more $$$ also has bed extentions. Near the same money as sale the 1014 and a few others. Thinking is that a 2nd lathe may be 1-8 thread #2 MT so what ever you aquire you could share between the two.