Thread: Painting MDF and popular

Painting MDF and popular

I built a small cabinet of popular and MDF. Primed with Zinzer 1-2-3 Primer (brushed and rolled) and painted (sprayed) with Valspar latex. Coating looks great but after one week everything is still "tacky."

How long should this take to dry? What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry, Valspar latex should be dry within hours at the most - should never take a week. If the reaction is with the MDF as well as the poplar, then it's not the wood. Suggestion - try spraying some of the latex without the primer and see if it will dry properly. If it does, then perhaps you have a compatibility problem. Is the latex very old or has it been subjected to freezing?

If your cabinet won't dry, I have no suggestion other than remove the paint and start over. If you're lucky someone may have a better solution.

Roy

P.S. It never hurts to test your finish on something other than your project.

All of our interior doors were poplar with MDF panels. They were painted with an oil based primer and then a couple coats of acrylic latex. We tried latex sealers and I didn't like it. The latex sealer was more difficult to sand. I don't know anything about Zinsser 123 but it doesn't appear to be oil-based. Not sure what to suggest other than waiting to see if things harden up and if not then redoing with a different combination.

In general I found the water-based sealers raised the grain far more than oil-based and I couldn't get them as smooth as the oil-based versions.

Greg

Thanks for the replies.

Roy - the reaction was more with the MDF than the poplar. Primer and paint were fresh "off the shelf" from a new Lowes. Scraping down and recoating seems to be working.

Greg - I agree with your observations. I never thought about using oil based primer. Figured water based over water based. Just did a mantle and fire place surround out of MDF and did not have these problems. The water based stuff did raise the grain and sanding was a pain.

Humidity has been really high lately and that may have added to the problem.