Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table - Make it or Buy it.

Router Table - Make it or Buy it.

Curious as to what you guys and gals do.

I have Norms plans and I have seen some of tables that can be built by ordering parts (see December Popular Woodworking - I think).

Chuck

I am going to make my router table replacement.

Personally, it allows me to improve my skills and try out new methods. I can also fit my available space better, and use up some of the "scrap" I have left around.

IMHO, this is a project that almost everyone should make...and probably more than once, frankly, as needs change and lessons are learned. This is a great project to put skills to use and you can then put more of the cost into better materials and features, rather than into some manufacturer's pocket. (Don't get me wrong, I have no disrespect for the companies that offer router tables...they are addressing an important need from folks who don't have the time to build, etc.) Norm's design, as well as those from folks like Bill Hylton have a lot to offer. And when you build your own, you can customize things to your own needs and desires quite easily, even if you base on an existing design.

Where I gave a second thought this past year is to the top and the fence system. "This time around", I opted for the BenchDog cast iron top setup for my latest router setup. My previous tops were shop-built. Quite satisfactory, but this cast iron setup is the bee's knees! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definately build your own. I've just finished building mine, and I learned a lot. Wish I had had the new dovetail bits and I would have done dovetail drawers. Guess I could still change them out, but I most likely will go on to the next project for the shop. If you build your own, you can make the changes that Jim B. talked about, and most importantly, for me, was to be able to build the top the size I wanted it for the 25" Incra LS fence I had already purchased. You may decide to build your own fence. There are so many options. Personalize yours!. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim,

No pics, didn't happen.

Chuck

Blog Entries
    Like many, I bought the top and fence and then built the cabinet. If there is a fence that you like and don't care to build one it would be easy to adapt your own-made table to the fence but I'd have it in my hands before I finalized my design ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I think it was the December 07 Woodworker's Journal you're referring to. It had three table setups with complete supplier and price listings for all the parts (all sold by Rockler, of course!). Problem is, after finding a good cabinet table plan (in Bill Hylton's Woodworking With the Router book), I figured out the cost, and building at least the cabinet on your own is a big time savings over buying outright (at least $400). That more than pays for both the router and mounting plate.

I did decide though to go with a custom built Woodpecker top. I'm still kinda amateurish, and the thought of going through all the trouble of making a top just to booger up the routing required to cut the plate opening - something you've gotta get just right, with only one shot - persuaded me to let someone else to that work. The fence I'll make myself though, again going with Hylton's plans (that book is full of plans for router table accessories and jigs you can build yourself from practically scraps, saving lots of money).

So I think there's a happy medium to be found, depending on your level of expertise and the features you want. A mix of shop-built and prefab components seems to be the way most folks go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Norm's design, as well as those from folks like Bill Hylton have a lot to offer. And when you build your own, you can customize things to your own needs and desires quite easily, even if you base on an existing design.
    Couldn't agree more. Since you brought up Bill Hylton, I would like to endorse his comprehensive book on the subject, "Woodworking with the Router". I believe I read that a new edition of this classic work is coming out. Please correct me if I'm wrong. That is the ultimate source of just about all my router knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Like many, I bought the top and fence and then built the cabinet. If there is a fence that you like and don't care to build one it would be easy to adapt your own-made table to the fence but I'd have it in my hands before I finalized my design ;-)
    I just got done doing the same thing... although I haven't yet purchased the fence. I went with the Woodpecker Table and Aluminum Insert and couldn't be happier. I built a quick and dirty (and surprisingly strong) stand out of jointed and planed 2x4s from the borg. I can always build a nicer stand in the future... and I'd only be out about $15 for the cost of the 2x4s.

The best thing about building my own stand is that it's exactly the height I want it to be.

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

i prefer to make my own. it's like constructing your own lightsaber as a jedi!

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    i prefer to make my own. it's like constructing your own lightsaber as a jedi!
    Now that's a good analogy!

Paul
    Paul Fitzgerald
    Mid-South Woodworker

Make your own. If you want some tips on how to make it good and cheap, get on amazon and get a used copy of Pat Warner's book, called "getting the very best from your router" or something like that.

I did that. I think that including the oak and some bolts to fix the top to the frame I put the table on, I'm into the whole thing for about $50, not including the router, of course. It's dead flat to a starrett edge and if I screw up the top, a $6 piece of 3/4ths MDF and I'm back in business.

Chuck,

I've made several and they worked well. Also I have used some parts for tables and done well with that. My recommendation if go to Leevalley.com and purchase their router table top, fence and sled. You can then build a cabinet of your choice. I have 4 of the veritas tables plus a couple extra fences that I used for a door making setup. One of the tables have been in a horizontal router table setup for about 8 years. This is standing on edge and support a 3 horse router. It is still in super condition.

Burt

Charles

Make your own, definitely. Take your time and do one right, and you won't regret it
    My router table is 4'x2', dead flat, built like a tank, and heavy as all get out. It flat out does not move at all. The fence has a 4" DC pickup and works beautifully.
    Most of the stuff I've done has been long, wide, heavy tropical hardwoods, and a store bought router table would not have done it. In retrospect, I would have been better off with a shaper.

The BenchDog top that Jim Becker refers to his post is worth much more than a passing look. True, it's pretty expensive, but knowing that your router table is dead flat and the bit is perfectly perpindicular to the table top can be important down the line.
    I probably won't build another router table, I'll most likely move up to a shaper, but if I do that BenchDog top will be the heart of it.

I kinda did both I guess (build/buy). I bought the Incra LS fence, PRL, 5625, dust cabinet, and table from Woodpecker because it was on clearence. I then made the frame from parts of an old computer terminal modular (Write Line brand) unit from our Data Center from work and cut a Jet mobile base in half and bolted it to the end. I sized the height of it to be an outfeed table for my sawstop at the router end. Then I made the shelf on the bottom from 1/2" plywood and laminated it from clearence laminate at Menards. Then added the toolboxes that are ball bearing drawer models that were clearenced from Farm and Fleet. The square cast iron end opposite the router table was a freebie from a buddy and the table stradling the fence holding the planer is a monitor stand. I have since moved the vice over and added an 200lb anvil as well. So the one table is a router table, vise, anvil, small planer, out feed table and storage unit all movable on casters and the same size as my sawstop - and black to match. This is my second router table.

As to the shaper and router table decision, I have a shaper and still use my router table as well. I just own more bits for the router table and I love the fence. The shaper is awesome but for little jobs I can setup and run them far easier than if I have to change out my spindles or setup my cutters. I just need more practice with my shaper.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 01-27-2008 at 11:13 PM.