Thread: Retrofitting "Mortise and Tenon" or Splined Joints

Retrofitting "Mortise and Tenon" or Splined Joints

I am trying to recover from design flaw on a clavichord stand I built in 1964. This Zuckermann kit (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Zuckermann) was my first furniture project. It was cut and shaped in the shop in the Chemistry Department at Washington University and assembled on the dining room table in our third floor walk-up apartment half a mile away.

It is a simple table constructed from northern catalpa (an uncle supplied it for the cost of Railway Express shipping.) It is a soft but very dimensionally stable wood. The USDA Forest Products Laboratory reports 2% radial and 5% tangential expansion. (See: http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm) Unfortunately, I do not have a large supply of material in hand. It can be purchased but is not commonly available.

The table consists of a 14" x 47" sheet of ½" plywood with 4 tapered 24" long legs, 1.75" square at the top and 0.75" square at the bottom. The legs are tied together 8" from the floor by 0.75" x 1.5" stretchers across the short dimension and a single 0.75" x 1.5" stretcher centered on them along the long dimension. I made the error of simply butting the pieces together and pulling up the joints with one #8 woodscrew in each joint. I covered the screw holes with catalpa doweling. The endgrain of this soft wood is not up to holding a screw for very long. I made a small hole saw from a scrap of tubing which fit comfortably over the screws and bored down around the screw until I could easily pull the head through and remove the screw from the parts. I now have ~0.35" diameter holes ~0.6" deep in the legs and 0.45" deep in the stretchers and/or legs where the screws once protruded.

Most common stronger woods have at least double the expansion of catalpa. This suggests to me that simple doweling with birch dowels would invite splitting. I am thinking about creating "mortise and tenon" joints by cutting splines from the scrap catalpa I have and fitting them into mortises cut into the legs and the stretchers. The legs are ~1.20" square where the stretchers fit. Using the 1/3 rule and applying it to the legs, this suggests that the splines should be 7/16" thick. This would leave ~1/4" of wood on each side of the stretcher to support the spline. Using this same dimension, the width of the spline should be 1". Is ¼" of wood on the stretcher enough for good strength? The 5x rule (length vs. thickness) for a tenon suggests I should make the tenons 2.2" long. This exceeds the dimension of the leg at the proposed point of insertion. How deep should the mortise in the stretcher be; how long should the exposed end of the spline be? The problem is even more extreme at the joint between the shorter stretchers and the long central stretcher. Here the mortise needs to be less than the ¾" thickness of the shorter stretchers. Do I use a ½" long 7/16" x 1" tenon?

I will try to include a photo for clarification.

Thank you,

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since you are used to living with a plugged hole anyway… and if you are really concerned about a hardwood dowel splitting the catalpa, then I would repeat your original method only this time pre drill for a confirmat screw, re plug with your left over catalpa, and be done with it.

Personally I’d use the birch dowel, but I understand your concern. Also, you didn’t say how much catalpa you have, but if you could make enough dowels out what you have, then do that. You could also look around for a dimensionally stable dowel.

Sorry, I don’t have the calculations for an optimum loose tenon size other than to say I wouldn’t chop out more than 50% of the shoulders combined. If it’s a .75” piece, I’d then go with a .375” mortise.

Spline/Mortise Dimensions?

Paul,

Thank you for your insights.

Just to be certain that I've understood, I've attached a quick Autosketch sketch saved as a *.dwg file showing my understanding of your suggested spline/mortise dimensions.

Did I understand you correctly?

(I apologize for the faintness of the dotted lines. Apparently the utility for the conversion of a file from *.skf to *.dwg does not work very well. I will try to substitute a modified file where the lines are 'thicker' to make them more distinct. I hope version "3b" will upload and download to be more readable. If so, moderator, you can delete version "3" to save space on the server.)

Thanks,

John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Baum; 01-31-2008 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Attachment hard to read