Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone made interior doors?

Nice Alan! Those will last for many, many years.

Great thread here.

Dustin

Lewis
    The planer that you have listed can act as a jointer. It requires that you make a "sled" to act as a reference face to joint wood. It takes a little longer, mostly to make the sled, but is entirely doable. A router table, with a spiral bit, and a split fence makes, a nice edge jointer.
    If you decide to purchase a jointer. I'd recommend at least a 6" jointer with ~ 48 inches of bed. The pieces of a door can have some weight individually.
    I can pretty much guarantee that the machinery you need to purchase will pay for itself after just a door or two.

More importantly though, now you know that it is entirely possible to make your own doors.

Harold
    Thank you very much for the info.

Alan
    Those doors are beautiful. I love that middle door. That's a very nice solid door. The atrium handles are a nice touch also. Good for opening doors when your hands are full too.
    Well done.

I've also done this; 10 interior doors over the course of about a year (plus the one I had to scrap because it had a masssive twist in it after glue up). I would agree with the other posts suggesting a normal size 6" jointer; maybe a used one from craigslist? With the size of a door, you want straight, flat lumber as best as you can make. damhikt.

If you think you'll do more than one, another suggestion is to spend a lot time up front making sturdy jigs, holding apparatus, squaring methods, glueup jigs, hinge templates, etc. It wasn't until near the end of my project that I finally made some jigs to hold the door flat on my bench for sanding, hand planing, etc.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone!

This has been very helpful. I have been looking on ebay for a larger jointer. But might consider a better planer if I can acomplish the same thing. Mike what would be involved in making a sled for a planer. I have a total of 5 interior doors. I think this will be my first project after putting the wood floor.

The links were very helpful, and the pictures are an inspiration. Thanks to everyone.

Lewis