Thread: Newbee Question on Lathe purchase

Newbee Question on Lathe purchase

Hello to all
    I am trying to buy my first lathe and have read until I am blue in the face.
    I am considering making a run at the Delta 45-204 listed now on Ebay. Any suggestions as to quality, price, and is this a good starting lathe for a newbee. I really want to jump into this vortex, just as a hobby with no specific work in mind. Thanks for any insight guys.

I could not find this lathe on ebay, but no matter which lathe you buy you will probably want to someday to turn bowls. Buy a lathe you can use for this, and you will want one with more than a 12" swing, and one which will go slower than 100 RPM if possible. A lathe with varriable speed control is desirable feature, make sure there is no play in the drive shaft comming out of the head stock, and the tail and head stock should line up.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Sound advice.
    If you don't want to put so much money into and just want to test the water, a good mini (or midi) is the way to start.
    A good mini is more enjoyable and safer to use than a bigger lathe of the same price range. A Jet mini holds its value very good as compared to the low end mid size lathe.
    I am not commenting on the lathe you are looking for either.
    Gordon

If it's the one I just saw on the bay for 375, you need to look at this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75142 here on the SMC. A set of the Harbor Freight red handle tools $49, I really like the set that I have, and a bowl gouge from Penn State (benjamins best) and you are all set

This is a heck of a deal but I bet its gone already
    http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/554295276.html

Delta lathe!

My first turning was on an old Delta. They have a history of making solidly built fairly easy to use machinery. If they are still making them in the USA, it would most likely be a good investment. questions you need answered; where is the motor mounted, is it direct drive or belt what asscesories come with it, (tool rests, live or dead tailstock cewnter. headstock asscs. If no extras, you"ll be paying extra for those. I have found whe dealing on ebay, (over two hundred transactions) that you never assume any thing, read the sellers feedback, and email, email, email.
    what is the item number?
    Bob

delta item number on ebay

the item number is 230217153604
    thanks

I started with a Midi.

I started my turning with a Midi from Woodcraft. I did pens and small stuff. Then I bought a Craftsman because it was only 450 bucks. Boy what a mistake. Within six months the headstock had to be replaced and now it's about to go again. So last Friday I did the jump and bought a Jet 1642. I checked it out at the woodworking show we had here last weekend. It seems to be a good choice but only time will tell. I'm still in the learning stage. Heck I was a locksmith for 33 years and I was still learning at that so that tells you about me. I wish you luck and a lot of enjoyment. It has been for me.

Since you are just getting into the hobby I would get a Jet 1220 with a 12" swing and if you want longer you can add a bed extension. If you find you like it as much as most you will probably get a bigger lathe and you could like most us hang onto the 1220 for doing smaller projects. I think it is next month the Jet 1220 will be coming out with variable speed. I think the belt change model is $349 and could be cheaper if you looked around. If you find you don't like turning this lathe will hold it's resale value. I started with a Delta midi. I gave it to a nephew who wanted to turn but in college didn't have the money. I bought a Rikon because of the 12" swing. I still have it and use it for small ornaments, mini birdhouses, toothpick holders, etc. even after I upgraded to a Nova DVR XP.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

jet 1220 Lathe

I received a reply from WHM Tool Group (Jet ) today and they informed me that they are coming out with a variable speed version, but it will be May. Thats the way my luck runs.