Thread: DC Modification

DC Modification

I've been looking at getting a DC system (canister style, 2hp). On the local sales adds a guy is selling a 3hp double bag system (with bags, not canisters) for 400$. It was residential use and bought in '98. It would be about $400 ( 150$ cheaper than what i was thinking for the new one i wanted: http://grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Can...ollector/G0548 ). But it is a larger double bag system. Assuming i could barter the guy down to 300$ or so, would it be reasonable to take one of the filter/bag sets off and run it as a single bag/filter system? It would provide more airflow than the 2hp, but for a 3hp motor, it would run at a higher point on its operating curve (170ocfm as opposed to 2300cfm for the 3hp). This would also give me a larger motor if i ever wanted to make a cyclone from it. But it is a 10 year old motor.

Thoughts?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Most importantly, running it with a single bag should not hurt the motor assuming that it has the typical radial blade fan wheel. It will probably be OK but not live up to its full potential...mostly in terms of cleaning cycles.

As an owner of a 2hp single bag, 2hp is plenty strong for the hobbyist and has sufficient chip/dust holding capacity. A 3 hp unit with a single bag will slightly outperform a 2 hp in terms of flow and pressure, but will fill up with chips just as fast and therefore have the same cleaning cycle.

-Jeff

What micron bag is it? That is an important thing to compare.

I would anticipate replacing the bag with a filter canister. Either one from Wynn or getting the one from grizzly that goes on the unit (they only sell the new one with canisters now, not bags).
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"