Thread: Problems Upgrading to a Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw.

Problems Upgrading to a Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw.

Well guys,
    I was about to place an order for a Grizzly G1023SL left tilting 3hp table saw, but I wanted the Shop Fox Incredible Fence. Grizzly tells me they don't sell any table saws without fences. Bummer. I thought I remember some other Creekers purchasing table saws without fences, because they had upgraded to a better fence and wanted to keep their better fence. I now have a Grizzly G1022 with the incredible Fence on it, with long rails. I don't think that the Shop fox classic fence will fit my older G1022 saw. Does anyone have a clue whether they would be interchangeable even with drilling new holes in the rails. I would sell my G1022 with the classic fence, if it would work. Also, tell me what your thoughts are on the Shop Fox Classic fence, as opposed to the Incredible Fence. Is the classic fence a really good fence and does it lock in square and have a fine tune function?
    1/2 hour later:
    After taking another look at the Grizzly G1023s again, I thought why not just order the saw with 7 ft. rails and legs and the Shop Fox Classic Fence. Well, Grizzly won't sell the saw with 7 ft rails. You must add $169.00 to the price to get the 7 ft rails and legs, but you can order the Shop Fox classic fence with 7 ft. rails and legs for $275.00. A savings of $119.00 over purchasing the 7 ft rails separately. That didn't sound right to me, so I called them and confirmed that, #1, I can't buy a saw without a Fence, #2, I can't add the 7 ft rails and legs for the difference from $225.00 to $275.00, ( Which is what I can buy the fence outright for with 7 ft. rails. #3 I can however spend $169.00 for the 7 ft rails and legs and then just pitch the existing rails away for a wasted cost of $119.00. This makes no sense to me. I have been a big big fan of Grizzly and own about 9-10 Grizzly tools. I have always had excellent service and shipping, but this does not seem like logic to me. Any thoughts on this latest development?
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 01-29-2008 at 5:26 PM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

One way Grizzly keeps prices down is by being streamlined; any color as long as it is black. Their tools are good values and CS comes through in the end; but they can be a pain to deal with.
    If you want to deal with an accomodating company, you have to pay more; your choice.

Why not just order the ShopFox version of the same saw which comes with the ShopFox fence?

Wade's right on with this one.

Changing things around costs man hours which costs money.

Seems like you could sell the extras.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Buy the saw with the SF classic, switch fences. Even if all the holes don't line up perfectly, it's easy to drill new holes in CI. Or, keep the 1023 exactly as it is--the classic fence is a fine fence--I think the only difference is that it's like a Biese, it's only parallel after locking, where the more expensive SF fence is reported to always be parallel. I looked at both at the Griz showroom in Belllingham and they both seemed like perfectly adequate fences, certainly comparable to my Powermatic fence.

John,
    Thanks for the info on the Classic fence. I wanted to keep the long rails on my G1022ZFX saw, because I have a Router table added to the long rails. I thought it would sell higher with the router table attached, but I could just sell it as a 30" cut and eliminate the long rail, but it surely won't bring as much as with them. What really got my goat was the pricing for the classic fence sold separately is $225.00 and with 7 ft. rails and legs was $275.00, but adding the rails and legs to the fence was $169.00. Just no logic...
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I just bought the 1023SL and used my old 50" Bies fence with the grizz fence still in the box.

Havent decided to sell it or not. If someone wants it, I could be tempted to part with a brand new fence, still in box !!