Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone try walk-in closets?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    I can't believe two things about this thread.

First, we are woodworkers dang it. Why are people actually recommending buying some junk cabinets at home depot form closet made or who ever. (I mean no disrespect to the person that posted that specific brand but it wasn't the only post). I don't know about you guys but my wife thinks the closet is the most important room in the house. So I say make those cabinets look great. Maple and Mahogany all around....

Respectfully,

Todd
    Todd (and Jim) - I suppose this discussion is why we have vanilla and chocolate. There is PLENTY of woodworking involved in designing and installing a closet system using systems such as Mills Pride, Ikea and Closet Maid. Some of these companies offer solid wood and/or wood veneers as an alternative to melamine. I have quoted many dozens of closet systems for clients. Close to 100% are not willing to spend the money for a system priced higher than white melamine, including my own wife. The cost goes up really fast - perhaps three to four times the cost of melamine for wood or wood veneer. Many, many people have the attitude, "It's a closet". Nobody sees it but the homeowner. Many folks actually like white!!!

I have tried making cabinets rather than buying the kits. Again, the clients simply will not pay me what I need to make cabinets for closets. The systems offered cover a wide range of materials, and I cannot buy the materials for what many of the modular systems cost as a kit. Maybe that's not woodworking to some, but the client makes the rules.

In my own home, we have oak cabinetry throughout. Except for the two walk-in closets in the master bedroom and the utility room. Those are done in white melamine, and we are happy with both the look and the durability. Again, vanilla and chocolate.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    I can't believe two things about this thread.

First, we are woodworkers dang it. Why are people actually recommending buying some junk cabinets at home depot form closet made or who ever. (I mean no disrespect to the person that posted that specific brand but it wasn't the only post). I don't know about you guys but my wife thinks the closet is the most important room in the house. So I say make those cabinets look great. Maple and Mahogany all around.
    First off it's just a closet and second most of us are really cheap I mean very frugal. My closets are barely walk in, more like stand in and I used the closet maid wire stuff.