Thread: sycamore - preparation and finishing

sycamore - preparation and finishing

I have a two part question about sycamore. We are thinking of several projects to use quartersawn sycamore, as I have recently come across a virtually unending supply , if we’re willing to go 160 miles for it . I have tried several things in popping the lace-like figure in quartersawn sycamore and find nothing that I really like. Using something like BLO or Danish oil just doesn’t do much and with dyes the results have been way too blotchy. Anybody have a magic formula, like using sizing or something?
    The other part involves preparation. Sycamore is notorious for having brown and white areas through the wood. For some things we can accommodate that but for some we’d prefer a uniform color. We are going to try wood bleach tomorrow. Does anybody have a formula for that expensive stuff? I know one part is hydrogen peroxide and the other is sodium hydroxide but I don’t know the strengths. It may be moot as the bleaching may or may not work to our satisfaction and I may not be able to get the right strength peroxide….the sodium hydroxide is no problem.

The top I recently made for a low bookcase going in the "toilet room" of our addition is QS sycamore that I resawed and book-matched. The finish is BLO, numerous sprayed coats of shellac and a top coat of gloss USL. This is the end result...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Beautiful job!