Thread: Drawer lining

Question Drawer lining

I'm building a jewelry box and I would like to line the drawers with a green felt type material. I heard that there is some sticky-back felt at some craft stores. The only problem is....I can't even apply a piece of tape to anything without wrinkling it.

Has anyone had success flocking drawers? My idea is to purchase the green flocking "fuzz" then spray the interior of the drawer with 3M adhesive, dump in some flocking material and spread it around just like flouring a cake pan.

Please advise on sources, tips or any helpful ideas

Thank You!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

I'd use the green flocking glue that should be available where you pick up the flocking. It helps hid any areas where the flocking might be a little thin. The shaking it around in the box will work ok.

I must say I've never been fond of applied flocking. I think a more elegant solution for jewelry boxes is velvet. Attach velvet over light padding by stretching around a thin board. The velvet covered board is then slip fit into the bottom of the jewelry box, though you could certainly use a bit of hot glue to hold it into place. Every fabric store carries some.

Steve, I never thought of the velvet process. You can also change it at will, where flocking is kind of permanent. Sounds like a good idea...
    Kyle in K'zoo
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Yes, Steve's idea of velvet on an insert works for me, too. Or as I did on the jewelery box I built a few years back, I used self-stick velvet directly on the bottom of the compartments. I then made my divider inserts to go over that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used flocking but also have never been fond of it.

If you stop at JoAnns or your local fabric store they sell material called velveteen by the yard. I have used it for poker table tops and it would be great for a situation like this.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Thanks everyone for the tips. There is a Fields Fabrics on my way home from work.
    Kyle in K'zoo