Thread: Attaching tabletop to base

Attaching tabletop to base

Hi everyone! I have just finished, well almost finished, constructing my coffee table. The base is roughly 42" x 30", with front, back, and sides (1.0" x 3.5" solid birch) connected to the legs (2.0" x 2.0" solid walnut) by M&T. I also have two drawer slides connecting the front to the back. My tabletop is made out of 3/4" birch plywood with and 2" walnut border. I am about to connect the top to the base but I am not sure how to do this; preferably I would just glue the two pieces together. (The plywood sits entirely on the base) Will I have problem down the line with wood movement?

Given a plywood top, movement shouldn't be an issue. Even so, my preference for attaching table top is nearly always some type of cleat. I usually make wood cleats and router a groove in the apron that they lock into. It's secure, movement isn't an issue and you can take the top off if needed.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Even if wood movement were not an issue, I still would not glue the top onto the aprons. Having it removable makes for easier repair in the future, etc. I generally use the wood cleats that Don mentions for this or screw up through glue blocks (slotting the rear blocks for movement if it's a solid wood top). One can also use "figure 8" buttons for this task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Even if wood movement were not an issue, I still would not glue the top onto the aprons. Having it removable makes for easier repair in the future, etc. I generally use the wood cleats that Don mentions for this or screw up through glue blocks (slotting the rear blocks for movement if it's a solid wood top). One can also use "figure 8" buttons for this task.
    That is what I usually use also. I just picked up some more from Rockler. Here: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=786 $2.39 for a pack of eight with screws. I usually drill a 11/16 hole in the apron with a forstner bit about 1/16" deep offset slightly. That mortises it flush on the aprons.
    Jim

Thanks for the replies. I like those "figure 8" buttons, it seems like they might be the quickest solution. Thanks again.