Thread: Shop made sharpening jig plans

Shop made sharpening jig plans

Hello, I am new to turning and have been lurking on the forum for a month or so. The amount on knowledge shared here is incredible, I encourage other lurkers to contribute as I did, a great bargain.

Can someone refer me to a thread or elsewhere for dimensioned plans or drawings for sharpening jigs that would imitate the "wolverine" type system. I've found some photos etc but nothing dimensioned.

I know I should just dig the $ out of my pocket but other tool-aholics will understand the logic I will explain to the LOML "Yes dear, I am buying a new lathe (Nova 1624?), Oneway scroll chuck, accessories and a pile of tools, but look, I saved $100 on the ship made jig". Makes perfect sense to me and probably to lots of you out there.

I can hear the vortex getting closer!

Dennis
    Its all good when its done. If its not good, its not done.

Try the around the woods site. It is loaded with info. This link is to his homemade sharpening system. Great site! Hope you find what you need...Bill..
    http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sharpening01.html

Google some combination of "sharpening jig", and "King Heiple".

As for myself, I prefer to use a belt sander (1" x 42" unit from Lee Valley) to a grinder. A simple L shaped support mounted under the lower wheel and you've basically got a Wolverine (I did buy the vari-grind jig).

Steve Kubien

Steve: That is exactly the same belt sander I have. Could you post a photo?

Dennis

Bill: that link was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot.

Dennis

Another site

This is a link to pages created by Jean Michel...and now preserved by Woodturners Association of Quebec. The info you will want is under the category of Grinding Jig, but the whole collection is a treasure.
    http://www.atbq.qc.ca/jm2/

Bob V.

Dennis, I just recently made a short tutorial showing how I made my sharpening jig for my traveling lathe. I modeled it after the Wolverine System, which I use with my Delta Grinder. If you'll email me, so I'll have your email address, I'll send you the pdf file. It's too large to post on this forum, or I would do that.
    As a matter of fact, I'll send it to anyone who wants it, just like the buffing system.
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 02-01-2008 at 9:05 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Home made jig??

I saw a homemade jig at a club meeting last year. Contact Dennis Bell at DENNIS BELL
    E-mail Address(es):
    DBELL@BELFS.COM
    He demonstrated it. Maybe he drew up plans.
    Bob

Dennis,

I'll snap a picture later today.

Steve

Hey Dennis,

It's not much but it is cheap and it does the job. I threw this together earlier in the week and haven't permanently set it up. I will mill a wood section with a slot to receive the aluminum track. In it I will put a thumbscrew to secure the track. For now, it doesn't need to move since I am doing mostly bowl work. For my skews, I usually freehand them. It is simple and I hone on a waterstone or diamond plate, whichever I find first. Parting tools are done with the table which came with the sander.

I hope this helps, and the pictures work!

Steve Kubien
    P.S. Oh yeah, the wood block measures 3" high, is attached to the aluminum track by a long machine bolt and has two 1/4" washers epoxied on top to hold the arm of the vari grind jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more info on jigs and sharpening

Below is a link to a drawing and some resources that build on the ideas in Darell Feldmate's Around the Woods site. I prepared this for new turners in my club. All these ideas draw on David Ellsworth original drawings and jig. I use them every day. The one thing that has changed is the idea that the control arm should be set at 23 degrees to maintain an equal included angle between the flute and the bevel all the way around the sweep. This idea was published in the AAW Journal about a year ago, and has worked well for me. When the angle is not equal you end up with a grabby tool that behaves differently as you change the presentation.
    http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ad...vision=_latest
    Jerry Hall