Thread: Water based lacquer

Water based lacquer

I'm using a water based lacquer made by Trinity for the first time. Is it necessary to thin this stuff before spraying? If so I would assume I just use water, is that right? I've never used a water based lacquer so any suggestions anyone would have would be greatly appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    For the brand I use(target coatings) No. If for some reason you do,. They sell a retarder that work great for thinning it. Water will work.First check with the company to make sure is recommended.

Go here to read the technical specs for this product. http://208.112.91.40/downloads/Trini...-%20Precat.pdf
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Thanks John and Al. I looked up the specs after I posted the thread. I probably should have done it the other way around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John, I'm confused. The technical data sheet in the link you provided is for a solvent based pre-cat lacquer isn't it. Here is a link to one of Trinity's waterborne "lacquer" product tds.

http://www.insl-x.com/downloads/Trin...%20Lacquer.pdf

While water is mentioned as the thinner, the viscosity from the can looks like it ought to be sprayable. Be careful in thinning waterborne finishes with water. If you use very much it can upset the ability for the film to coalesce as the water evaporates.
    Last edited by Steve Schoene; 02-01-2008 at 11:03 PM.

I've spent the day spraying the water based lacquer with my cheap HF gun and everything has gone really well. I didn't have to thin the product at all. I have a second questions though. If I need to do some touch up later on can I use a spray can of regular lacquer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No you can't use solvent based lacquer over the waterborne "lacquer" which is really quite a different product. The strong solvents in the solvent based lacquer will likely damage the waterborne.

To clarify Steve's comments, virtually all water borne finishes are acrylics, including those that have "lacquer" in the name. Some are formulated to have some of the desirable characteristics of solvent-based lacquers without the hazards, but they are not "lacquer". The solvent in solvent based lacquer will do nasty things to other finishes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...