Thread: Friction polish ??

Friction polish ??

For those of you that have experience with friction polish. How durable is it? Can you apply it over other finish like oil or poly? I plan on using it on something that will be hand held and used in the outdoors. Can you use something else over the polish? Thank you

Friction polishes are generally complete finishes (shellac based) and are intended to be used by themselves. They are not really good for items that will be handled a lot or for things destined for outdoor use, IMHO. Since many include wax, it's not something you can top coat easily...outside of more shellac.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Les,

As Jim stated I dont' think friction polish is as durable as other finishes. I will use it on occasion on an NE that I'm finishing on the lathe.....or a box .....something that's not going to be handled a lot.

If you want to friction something on and think later you might want to use a different finish over it, use dewaxed shellac. I buy mine in 1 gallon cans and pour a pint at a time into a jar. I work from the jar. Later if you want to put say lacquer over the dewaxed shellac, you can and.....you can friction the dewaxed shellac on the lathe just like friction polish.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Allow me to add my 2 cents: A few years ago, I bought some friction polish for use on pens. I finished the pens on the lathe. It was quick and easy. The pens looked beautiful, with a nice soft gloss. Within days of light use, the finish had worn through in places along the pen barrel. The pens looked awful. The finish was hard to repair. I won't be using friction polish on items that will be handled on a regular basis.

If I were using friction polish it would be on something that I finish on the lathe, part off and put on a shelf to be handled only when the LOML dusts it. If this item is going to be left outside I would use something like Spar varnish. Otherwise antique oil, danish oil, poly, lacquer will be hold up pretty well. Like David I won't even use it on pens any more.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ditto everyone else, friction polish is look but don't touch much. Spar for outdoor stuff.
    Mike