Thread: How do you drie wood? Great Find

How do you drie wood? Great Find

I hope I am posting to the right area here? Last years I had to have 2 trees removed from my front yard and some wood still sits and I found this piece of spalted and brought it into the shop. I am still sad about the lose of these trees. I am thinking of making something to keep to make it not so bad but How do I dry it? Do I cut it up first or do I leave it like it is? I know nothing about this. I have a few more pieces that I am going to use too if you all can tell me how to use it or rather what I need to do before I use it. Thanks The pictures so it and th jointer is reference to size.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt
    Mercury Laser Engraver/ Corel X3

SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    You can leave it whole and use it for turning or you can slice it up and use it for veneer or you can slice it up and you it for boards. What it the size of it?

I would guess the size is apporx. 3' x 1' odd shaped. So I can just cut it up now and use it right away??? That would be very exciting if that is all I have to do. The tree was cut a year ago and it has sat outside until today when I brought it into the shop hopeful of being able to use it to make some boxes out of.
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt

You turn green wood normally but use dry boards.

If you mill it into rough sawn boards allow year per inch (maybe less on a small piece) before you go to use it for something.

I would think about making that about 5/4 boards and then resawing to veneer. If you have a bandsaw you should be able to mill it to rough yourself with a sled.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

You aren't going to get much useable boards out of a pieces that size and shape; best to use it for turning blocks. Unless of course you don't turn, in which case a small amount of boards is better than none.

Normally you do SOMETHING with it immediately. Either cut it for boards or blocks and use it or treat the ends so it doesn't split. In my experience wood becomes pretty useless if neglected for a year. I hope your luck is better than mine; can't tell from the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin Voorhis View Post
    I hope I am posting to the right area here? Last years I had to have 2 trees removed from my front yard and some wood still sits and I found this piece of spalted and brought it into the shop. I am still sad about the lose of these trees. I am thinking of making something to keep to make it not so bad but How do I dry it? Do I cut it up first or do I leave it like it is? I know nothing about this. I have a few more pieces that I am going to use too if you all can tell me how to use it or rather what I need to do before I use it. Thanks The pictures so it and th jointer is reference to size.
    Just use caution in using spalted wood. The spalting occurs from a mold and when you machine it, you airborne the mold. If you store this lumber with other "non spalted", the mold can transfer and begin the process with your other lumber.

I've been down this road a few times with urban trees and even caught a case of powder post beetles from one log- remove the bark before you bring it indoors and treat it with borate if you see any signs of insect activity. If you know what you are going to do with the wood, cut it to rough oversize green so it dries faster. Big chunks take several years to dry all the way. If you want to wait, paint the ends of the grain so it dries more evenly. I store mine stickered in the attic of my unheated garage with air space around it and it dries pretty evenly that way. I have about 300 bf of walnut waiting for projects.

You may lose some of it to splits since you didn't treat it immediately after it was cut, but if it hasn't checked by now it probably won't.

Thanks so very much!!! I am hoping since the wood was incased in ice before I brought it in there are no bugs!!! WOW that part does not sound fun..... I am going to have to get the chain saw for some cutting as my 14" bandsaw is not big enough..... Thank you so very much for all advice as I was so clueless on this but the wood was too beautiful to pass up......
    GCC LaserPro 30-Watt