Thread: Lathe tools

Lathe tools

Looking for someone to sharpen my lathe tools, in the Raleigh NC area. Looking into a tormek system but will take sometime to save the money.
    Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie, you really need to get what is necessary for your shop to sharpen your tools...they need sharpened every few minutes sometimes, depending on the wood you are using and the particular cutting technique. Unfortunately, these tools are not like saw blades where you can send them out every once in awhile...

While there are certainly plenty of folks who like to use systems like Tormek, my preference for sharpening turning tools is an 8" grinder with 60 and 100 grit AO wheels and the Wolverine system for support. This is kept near the lathe and all I have to do is rotate my body and I'm ready to touch up the edge.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lathe tools

Thanks, will look into what you said.
    Eddie

Eddie,
    I agree with Jim. Using a lathe and you need to know how to and have the ability to sharpen your tools as need be. I invested in the Wolverine system. I already had the grinder so I only had to purchase the Wolverine itself. I have to say it is very easy to use. I think I spent maybe 1-1/2 hours on setting up the attachements and then 1/2 hour tops to sharpen all my lathe tools. What a difference. As I recall you can buy a package deal at Woodcraft that includes the grinder and Wolverine system. When I went to the Woodcraft store, they showed me how to sharpen a skew and let me try also. Talk about selling point. How many stores let you test drive the tool before you buy?
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Eddie...Victor and Jim are right. Depending on what kind of wood I'm turning, I sometimes have to sharpen my tools several times while working on a piece.

My advice....a slow speed grinder and a Wolverine jig system or similar system.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree with all the comments. I turned some black locust which is like turning concrete. I have my sharpening station right behind me. I think I sharpened my bowl gouge 6 or 7 times finishing this bowl. Turning tools like Jim said are not something you can sharpen every once in a while like saw blades. 8" slow speed grinder with the Wolverine jig is the way to go and at around $180 to $190 for both that is a lot cheaper than a tormek. Easy learning curve with it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with what others have said...a sharpening system is as important as your lathe.

Last time I looked at the Tormek, it was way out of my price range. I ended up with the 1"x42" belt sander outfit that Lee Valley sells (search their site under sharpening) and a vari grind jig. Simple, cheap (I had a motor kicking around), works very well, runs cool, lots of grit options if you want etc etc. Check out this thread and you can see how I set it up to sharpen my gouges (skews are done freehand). It might be an option.

Steve Kubien
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=75434

I just got the 8 inch slow speed grinder on sale at woodcraft for $80. You need good wheels. The ones that comes with it are good to start. But I plan on investing in the oneway wheels, better for turning tools. You will need to get dressing tool, its a real help. And of course, the wolverine jig is awesome.

Sharpen Lathe Tools

Eddie, I live in Cary and have been turning for 15 years or so. I'll be happy to help you get a good edge on your tools. I've tried a wet grinder for sharpening lathe tools and wasn't happy with the result. Come and see me and let's seewhat we can do together.
    Thanks .... Al Basham

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Depending on what kind of wood I'm turning, I sometimes have to sharpen my tools several times while working on a piece.
    Well, when working with spalted material, I'll often sharpen every, well...two to three minutes... The calcite will dull an edge "really fast". A really kewel illustration of this is when David Ellsworth is doing the final finishing shear cuts on the outside of a bowl or vessel made with spalted material. He lines up about 8 sharpened gouges next to the lathe and one by one, makes about 10-20 seconds of cutting with each one. And then it's back to the grinder. But no sanding, either...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...