Thread: HyperGloat on a whole different level

Thumbs up HyperGloat on a whole different level

Penturning at "TheWoodWorkingShow"

Coming to a metropolitan city near you is "TheWoodWorkingShow". New ownership, I'm told, and some new management people as well. The couple of vendors that I've spoken with over the last couple of days (the show is in KC this weekend) seem to be fairly pleased with how things are going on the management front. The clubs that populate the KC show were frustrated because no one would return contacts. We were not aware at how swamped they were and how recently all of this has evidently taken place. Anyhow, go visit if you can. Some familiar faces, some new ones. And some novel new ideas in it all.

And I get to be part of one of those ideas here in KC!

Craft Supply USA, normally found in Utah, is travelling the circuit showing their wares. They sent out a plea for help ten days or so ago, looking for someone who'd be willing to serve as their "pen turning mentor". I volunteered gladly. Since being involved with Freedom Pen Project to the tune of 400 pens or so, teaching a number of folks how to turn them, finish, assemble them, etc., I thought I could bring something to the table. They were willing to let me do that, to my surprise and delight. I've had some great helpers (hallelujah!!!!!) so that the three lathes that CSUSA brought to the show have been busy pretty much nonstop for all the hours of the show. Hard to even get a sandwich, actually. SWAMPED is closer.

I have absolutely no idea of how many pens have been turned and given away to their makers. Lots, but no idea of actual numbers. Turners from 8 to 80, men, women, boys, girls, noob turners, novices, people who haven't turned since junior high school, some who'd never EVER turned anything, others who turned but had never done pens. Grade schoolers, high schoolers, young professionals, retirees and about-to-be-retirees. One woman with severe arthritis who simply could not hold a tool yesterday who came back today more thoroughly medicated and determined to turn, people who brought their brothers- or sisters-in-law for the experience, and my tour of duty started with three deaf mutes! We had a BLAST trying to communicate through mime and really short and sweet written notes for super important stuff. Watching all of these various folks create something excellent and absolutely GLOW when they were done was such a blessing to me. Seeing the few "WOW" looks on some of the faces as they actually became creative for the first time in their lives and that it was LOVELY and WONDERFUL is better than drugs ever could be for me.

For those who've never turned a pen or who have a friend or spouse who needs to be exposed to what we do, this is a good place to go, I'm thinking, because there are others like me out there who'll be heading the effort in their own locales across the country. The CSUSA folks think that this is WAY better than just having one of their own turners up there turning and talking away for several days. Getting people to be hands on is so much more fun than just watching. I had some folks who stood in line for 5 hours today. THEY WANTED THAT PEN!

I watched a LOT of folks find their way into the vortex today.
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Dean,
    Pinch yourself and make sure you're still alive. Sounds like "Turners Heaven"!
    I'm glad you were able to bring the pleasure to so many people. Sounded like a blast!!

Dean - speaking as a turner, I want to thank you for stepping up and taking the time to show all those folks what it is that we find so exciting about turning! It is amazing when folks realize that they too are creative and with just a little instruction and time have something physically in their hands to prove it! Had to make you feel good to share your turning knowledge with so many others! Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your effort and I am sure there are many new turners out there that will remember their first experience turning - thanks to you! Well done!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow what a deal Dean. That had to be a awesome experience. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice, Dean! That's a wonderful opportunity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Dean,

When my granddaughter was visiting Columbia I took her to a penturning demo/class at Mann Tools and she made a pen. She loved the class and is extremely proud of the pen she made. It's a great way to get young people interested in turning. I already have a Fisch mini lathe with her name on it for when she turns 10.
    Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin