Thread: Handplane question from a power tool user

Handplane question from a power tool user

I'm considering a handplane for minor smoothing and correction of seimi perfect glue joints. Typically, my joints don't perfectly flush up and I spend countles hours sanding and or using a mini plane to even the surfaces out. I purchased a Groz block plane,tried it for an hour or so and it has already been re-boxed and in my truck ready for return to Rockler. Admittedly, I'm not the most patient guy around but I am getting better. I went to Woodcraft and looked at LNs and after getting over sticker shock, I have now come to think that this is the way to go...maybe. I would mainly use this to smooth edges and flush out raised panels in cabinet/furniture doors,maybe tops if I get to that stage. I am a hobbyist woodworker who is improving as my confidence level grows along with my tool inventory. Should I be looking at a block plane,#4or5 or what. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Also LN is doing a seminar at our local Woodcraft in Minnesota and will be offering 15% off. THANKS

A #4 bench plane is what typically gets used to smooth out things.

Since you've all ready tried a Groz block plane and didn't like it and don't want to mess around, it sounds like you might want to look into a better quality tool. You also mention that you're not sure if using hand planes is something you really want to pursue. So, what you may want to do is look into one of the adjustable mouth block planes like the Lie-Nielsen or Veritas models. The block planes are less expensive than getting a #4, which will ease the sticker shock a bit.

If you go for the low-angle version of the Veritas block-plane there's an optional front knob and rear tote available for it, that effectively make it a small bench plane. Thus you get the best of both block and bench worlds for about $163.

If, after purchasing one of these planes, you do find you really don't like it. I suspect you'd not have a lot of difficulty selling it in the classified section of SMC.

I am a big fan of LN and would not hesitate to recomend their planes. However, if cost is an issue, you could try a vintage Stanley plane, they might require a bit of work to get into usable condition, but they can generally be had for significantly less than a quality new plane.

Block planes are great for lots of tasks, but planing a panel flat isn't one of those tasks. If that's what you need the plane for, I'd look for a #5.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I am mostly a power tool guy. I flatten my panel glueups with a #5. You must learn to sharpen well no matter which brand you get. Hand planes are somewhat frustrating to learn. Get a decent one, then if it doesn't work you know it's you. I started figuring out how to smooth the backs of the glueups while using the sander more on the money side if there are problems on the back. There's a lot to learn dealing with grain directions, etc. So, don't plan on buying a plane and suddenly using it without issues.
    Jay St. Peter