Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: understanding sizing?

understanding sizing?

Not sure what 8/4 or 4/4 means to me they would simply convert to 2" and 1". Is this correct or can someone explain this new sizing stuff to me?

Thanks
    Angus

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Blog Entries
    Probably get a better number of responses if this wasn't in the "Manufacturer's Forums" area. Maybe the moderators will move it for you.

To your question; yes, for whatever reason lumber is measured in 1/4" increments called "fours". 4/4 (pronounced 'four-four') lumber is 1" thick. 12/4 (pronounced 'twelve-four') lumber is 3" thick.

I assume the same gremlins are responsible that cause us to buy liquor in fifths ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would add this to Glenn's explanation:
    The measurements are approximate - these are rough surface boards and may vary by 1/8 inch or so from the calculated inch.
    Sort of like 1 X 2 lumber being 3/4 X 1 1/2 and so on.
    Just go with the flow, its woodworking jargon.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Mike for adding. I really should have pointed out that 4/4 when sanded for you (S2S or S4S) is more like 13/16" to 7/8". So. don't get excited if you see some 8/4 that isn't 2" thick, its normal. My local lumber yard's 4/4 is always 13/16" or thicker so I can always get a good 3/4" surfaced board out of it. The 'fours' system is talking about rough lumber and even then is not machine-shop accurate.

– Samuel Butler

4 is also pronouned quarter.

So when I'm looking at a 4/4 board, to me that is a 4/quarter board

To each their own.

It's all the same really.

Roger

Thanks for the explanation guys....

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Glenn,

Thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and moved it.

Good explanations. I recently read somewhere how this "quarter system" came about. I'll have to dig around.

I've never heard it pronounced as "fours" myself, but I ain't been around very long. It's always been "quarters" to me. As it was taught to me, it meant the rough-sawn board is x quarters of an inch thick - 4 quarters of an inch thick is 1".

Maybe the "fours" pronounciation is a regional thing?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I had heard that the kerf of a large circular saw blade for sawmills was nominally 1/4" thick, so wood was measured in integers or units of that.

Here's a link to a good forestry site that talks about wood grades (FAS etc.) as well as sizing terminology. A good read before you go visit the sawmill, so you know what you're buying!
    http://www.globalwood.org/tech/tech_hardwood_grade.htm
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Hines View Post
    Not sure what 8/4 or 4/4 means to me they would simply convert to 2" and 1". Is this correct or can someone explain this new sizing stuff to me?
    Correct, relative to the nominal thickness of rough timbers. 4/4 fresh cut is generally about 1 1/8" thick, give or take, depending on the sawyer. Once it's dry, it's closer to an inch, more or less. And one inch is what the people you buy the lumber will use to figure board feet for 4/4 stock when they are tallying up your purchase.

Measurements in 'quarters' are typically only used for sawyer's specifications and during the lumber buying process. Once you have it, you'll mill it to the thickness you need for your project and you'll measure that in inches/fractions or metric, depending on your preferences.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ronas View Post
    4 is also pronouned quarter.

So when I'm looking at a 4/4 board, to me that is a 4/quarter board

To each their own.

It's all the same really.

Roger
    And thanks to Roger as well. I really should round out my responses before I hit that 'Submit' button . On the upside, doing it this way gets more of us talking .

I wonder if the way we say the terms is geographical? I have read the phrase 8-quarter but haven't heard it spoken that way in SoCal. Not that I have any vast experience to draw from; the folks in the three yards I visit say four-four, eight-four, etc. I'm gonna say four-quarter next time I make a run just for the experimental fun of it. Jason is just up in the middle of the state and he states that they say 'quarter' up there. Could be an interesting poll(?). Maybe I should get a life.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.

– Samuel Butler

LOL Glenn!

I'm interested, too. I'd never heard it they way you mentioned myself - now i really AM curious to know the geographical spread of this here lumber measuring thingy!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

All Quarters here in MI

only have ever heard wood size designated by quarters

"Quarter" in PA as well, at least that's how I've always heard it.

I would hazard a guess that most of the folks you hear saying "four fours" instead of "four quarter" are Borgish employees who saw it written (Glenn excepted!), and just started saying it as written. This would be the first sign to me that the guy I was talking to didn't know what he was talking about, and I'd politely wander around until I found an older geezer to help me. And SoCal doesn't count, because they say everything D3wdiSh and wrong there--let's stick with places they speak English for this survey!
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 02-05-2008 at 6:40 AM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028