Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table

Router Table

I had built a router table about 7 years ago out of plywood and melamine top.It had served me well over the years but it was poorly constructed and is now falling apart.My skills have improved over thye years and I am confident that I can build a much better table but I am currently looking at the Rockler package for 159.00.Has anyone used this product?It seems like a decent table that would save me the time on building one myself.heres the link www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894
    Last edited by Marc Prudhomme; 02-03-2008 at 8:23 PM.
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times

anyone...anyone...

i looled at the rockler table a couple of years ago. decided to build one because some of the pieces that were going to go across it were 40" long. Ended up with dust collection, two large (24x30") and one narrow (10x24") storage drawers plus a flip up leaf for extra long pieces. i guess the questions to ask yourself is will the table size meet your needs and will you want storage and dust collection? if you build one, hope you post pictures.

The Rockler router table and acessories are OK, not great, OK - especially for the price. It's really not a table, but a top and fence - lokk at the More Info tab. The choices on inserts for the center of the plate for different diameter bits is limited. If you buy the "complete" package, you still need some of the accessories, like legs, the accessory kit if you want dust collection, maybe a high fence. Price it out with all of the do-dads you really need and then compare it with others that are available.

I had an early version of their top and fence package, and the top warped at the miter slot. That warp did not impact anything important, unless I was routing a deep piece of material. I was disappointed that it warped, and hopefully the newer versions no longer have that problem. However, it served a useful purpose for a while, and I sold it for a decent price when I moved up.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

I cant believe that only one person has tried this table.Anyone else???

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Prudhomme View Post
    I had built a router table about 7 years ago out of plywood and melamine top.It had served me well over the years but it was poorly constructed and is now falling apart.My skills have improved over thye years and I am confident that I can build a much better table but I am currently looking at the Rockler package for 159.00.Has anyone used this product?It seems like a decent table that would save me the time on building one myself.heres the link www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=894
    Marc,

Yes, I have used that package from rockler.

But the fence that comes on it leaves a little to be desired. I upgraded the fence to the Freud Micro Adjustable Fence and was very happy with it!

hth,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

has anyone ever tried this company????
    www.routertabledepot.com/laderota.html

has anyone ever tried this company????
    www.routertabledepot.com/laderota.html

No I have not but I noticed that the fence is connected by slots in the table.
    In my opinion you don't want a table were the fence is attached with slots. I just don't like them and to me they are harder to work with. I had a small Bosch and it was that way and I really hated it. It was not smooth at all and when you had to move the fence all the way back it would catch and you would have to loosen it up some more or fiddle with it.

i have looked at the table in the rockler store and checked it out with an accurate straight edge. the tops on two tables were not very flat with over 0.015 dips and bulges.

I think all the router tables have slots uless you go to the higher end of the price spectrum and get one that is attatched by a rail system
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    No I have not but I noticed that the fence is connected by slots in the table.
    In my opinion you don't want a table were the fence is attached with slots. I just don't like them and to me they are harder to work with. I had a small Bosch and it was that way and I really hated it. It was not smooth at all and when you had to move the fence all the way back it would catch and you would have to loosen it up some more or fiddle with it.

11. I made one just like Rockler's only a little bigger and with a taller fence. I also added dust collection, and only had about $100 in it. And that includes the bench dog feather boards. With some Melamine and plywood it's not that hard.

Marc, I purchased the large fence from Router Table Depot and have been very happy with it. I had to shim the outfeed side of the fence a little but have had no other problems with it. (fyi my table is a 2' X 3' piece of countertop, you can get them cheap at the borg where they sell scratched pieces. it is strong and flat)

Mike

Router TableTable

I have a combination of several ideas in my router table and I think it works very well. 1st I have table with and insert from Wood Haven, they have quality products. I made a fence some what like Norms except I make the upper partition the same height rather just higher than just in the middle. I made my own design cabinet the has doors, drawers and router bit storage, make sure you plan on growth for bit storage as they seam to grow.

The fence clamps over the outside edge of the table and can be taken off very easily and holds strong

For the dust collection I have a 4 inch hose that connects to the DC to the router cavity with a 2 1/2 hose coming from the router cavity up to the fence, collects 99% of the dust. Made sure you have some make up air holes somewhere in the door of some place, dust and chips collection needs air flow to be effective. Norms plan with the P glass door is not necessary, you do not need to see the router in action.

Brich plywood or 3/4 MDF would be a good material to make a cabinet from.

Dan

well I ended up buying this unit today. www.routertabledepot.com/rm505rota.html Gonna see if I can sell my homemade job on craigslist for a few bucks to get my money back for material.I like the fence better on this unit better than the rockler,although the aluminum insert on the rockler was nice.But this table is 1 1/2 thick and has Wilsonite material instead of melamine(a bit more durable).I hope I like it.Could of done without the stand though.I called to see if they would knock a few bucks off and keep the stand but no dice.
    thanks for the input,
    Marc

well I ended up buying this unit today. www.routertabledepot.com/rm505rota.html Gonna see if I can sell my homemade job on craigslist for a few bucks to get my money back for material.I like the fence better on this unit better than the rockler,although the aluminum insert on the rockler was nice.But this table is 1 1/2 thick and has Wilsonite material instead of melamine(a bit more durable).I hope I like it.Could of done without the stand though.I called to see if they would knock a few bucks off and keep the stand but no dice.
    thanks for the input,
    Marc
    I am sure it will work very well, if you like it that is the main thing.
    I did notice that they are using T track on the fence and not just slots cut in the top which I did not notice the first time I looked at it. that is better.

When you get it let us know how you like it when you get it up and running.