So, I have two boys (16mo and almost 4y) and a shop space. I really don't want them to play with the machines, especially as they head towards their teenage years, without my express permission and supervision. To this end, I'm thinking about installing a safety switch to the circuits that control the heavy equipment, dust collection, and general 110 outlets. Lights, AC, and compressor would not be on this switch.

Here's the detail: I'm starting with a 100Amp subpanel in the shop, and am thinking about using a 240v 60Amp circuit breaker to the safety switch. The safety switch could be locked with a padlock, and high enough to keep it from children's probing fingers. I would engage this when I get into the shop, and turn it off when I leave. I'm assuming the safety switch does not need to be fusable. The switch then feeds another circuit breaker box with roughly four circuits: a 240v for large equipment, another 240v for dust collection, and 2 120v for all of the outlets in the shop.

Does this make sense? Does anyone else use this type of arrangement? Anyone have better ideas?

Thanks!