Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this shop wiring make sense?

Thanks for all the inputs, I'm amazed that I got so much feedback in so little time.

Going the circuit breaker route will mean that I have to find a lockable door on the 100A subpanel that's already installed. I don't know if that's easy or not. I'll look into that a little more.

As for Heather and Wade's concerns, I agree, and do intend to teach my children safety and respect for tools. I hope that they are interested enough to learn all sorts of practical skills for life. Even so, I'd like the added insurance that when I'm not around, a lapse in judgement won't result in loss of limb or life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    SIt might be easier to teach them not to go in your shop; that's how I handled it.
    My kids are pretty good about it. Some of the neighbor kids ... not so much. Thus the cipher type combo lock on the door. I'd just rather not have them in there with or without power.
    Jay St. Peter

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I would tend to agree that breakers are not generally designed to be utilized as switches .. .. .. in this instance they aren't. The breakers should not be used to power-up your tools, but if the tool is OFF .. .. it is perfectly acceptable to then turn off it's corresponding breaker. It would then be a function of how many cycles before it mechanically wears out .. not how many times you have run an arc thru it. BIG difference !! !! !!

Dave
    Check at an electrical supply house and see if there are some SWD (switching duty)rated breakers for your brand of panel. Very common in comercial and industrial panels. I have never looked to see if they are available for residential panels.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave

My subpanel powers everything in the shop except for the lights. When I am done for the day I shut off the sub-panel main breaker. The actual trip breaker is in the main breaker, so the main breaker doesn't have an electrical function except to shut off power.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Some breakers are designed to be used as switches, and others are not. If you can get the right kind, you are all set!

It might be easier to teach them not to go in your shop; that's how I handled it.

everybody knows a kid that wants to find out why if he's told not to do something. Fotunately I did'nt have any like that. I think some type of disconnect is a good idea. In MI a breaker is a suitable means of disconnect.

I'm thinking along the same line as Jim -

I don't know what code says (it should be ok - but check with an inspector to be sure)

Why not get a A/C cutoff switch (same thing thats outside next to the compressor) and use that? It's still probably not rated for daily use - but it's got to be better than using the main breaker.

Of course, electricity is only ONE of the hazards for little fingers in the shop. I put a keyed knob lock on the door to the shop. The key is kept on a nail up higher than the kids can reach and they know that the shop is off-limits. I've never had an "intrusion".

If I was really worried about it - I'd just put they key on my keyring and keep it with me. Or - buy a cypher-lock (Unican) off ebay and use that.