Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bandsaw unpacking advice sought

New bandsaw unpacking advice sought

My new G0514X2 bandsaw is arriving tomorrow, and I am trying to prep mybasement shop to receive this 19" saw. I am concerned about how much wrangling it will take to get the beast into my workshop (double door walkout basement door).

Has anybody set up one of these saws (or any Grizzly 17" - 20" bandsaw) recently? What is the packing / crating like? I have a tractor with a loader to transport the saw to the basement, but will I be able to handle the unpacking and setup by myself (with some extra help by my wife)? I have a 1-ton shop crane that should help move things around once the bandsaw is inside.

Thanks for any info.

I seem to remember reading a Grizzly manual that showed an eye bolt secured to the top of the machine to use in lifting it off the pallet. That's how I plan to move my G0514X2 from pallet to mobile base, via shop crane, when I receive mine.

I'd love to see pics of delivery and setup of your saw. I had planned on receiving mine around the end of January, not sure what the hold up is.

Just received my G0513X2 17" bandsaw today! Met the delivery truck, got liftgate service, slid it into the back of my truck. Got home and backed up to the double doors on my metal shop building. Got out the shopcrane, and suddenly realized that while it was in an upright position, I had no real way to get a hold on it to get it out of the truck . With great difficulty, I laid it down, strapped it and lifted it with the shop crane. Drove the truck out from under it, and lowered it on a furniture dolly and rolled it on into the shop. Had to get my wife to help me upright the saw. I uncrated it from the very light weight pine crating, and quit for the night. The saw arrived in great shape, but by the time I wrestled it around a few times, the crating was pretty busted up. The saw is still sitting on the pallet, but I think I will be able to lift if off with the crane. The problem is in lifting it straight up. The 513 does not have an eyebolt - that would be a big help as long as one can get enough extension on the crane. Getting it out of the truck bed was the challenge. The tractor would have to help. I didn't think about that - tractor was in the barn. But, I don't have a front loader attachment. One more toy I need!! Good luck with yours!! I got my 1023 table saw in a couple weeks ago and it was much easier to handle, even though it was a bit heavier.

Should have looked up!! There is already an eyebolt installed in the top of the machine, so lifting with the crane to remove the pallet and position the machine will be a breeze. Still would not have helped get the darn thing out of the truck. I should have had help for that and am lucky I didn't damage the machine. The bandsaw is very hard to handle because of the weight distribution - heavy on the bottom, but only on the motor side. It wants to turn and twist when you try to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Should have looked up!! There is already an eyebolt installed in the top of the machine, so lifting with the crane to remove the pallet and position the machine will be a breeze. Still would not have helped get the darn thing out of the truck. I should have had help for that and am lucky I didn't damage the machine. The bandsaw is very hard to handle because of the weight distribution - heavy on the bottom, but only on the motor side. It wants to turn and twist when you try to move it.
    I'd be careful about using that eye hook in the top. My Laguna had one too, and if i'm not mistaken, there were clear instructions NOT to use it to lift the machine. It was there to stabilize it in the packing crate, but was not to be used to support the weight of the entire machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    I'd be careful about using that eye hook in the top. My Laguna had one too, and if i'm not mistaken, there were clear instructions NOT to use it to lift the machine. It was there to stabilize it in the packing crate, but was not to be used to support the weight of the entire machine.
    The owner's manual for my G0636X has instructions to lift the bandsaw from its eyebolts (it has two of them) on the top. I've done that with mine w/o trouble. Problem is, the bandsaw is sufficiently tall in my garage (shop) that I can't really lift it more than a few inches before I run out of lift room.
    Bob

I drove to the Bellingham showroom pulling my 5X10 trailer to pick up my 531 21" BS and a 609X jointer, and maybe even toss on a compressor. The forklift driver came out to take a look and just laughed. The machine was too heavy to lay on it's spine and the forks were too short to position in the center of the trailer. I wasn't interested in cruising down I-5 with a 700#, 7' tall hunk of metal in my rear veiw mirror. So $178 later it was in my shop via Oak Harbour freight.( It's interesting how it cost the same to ship 2 hours as it does to ship two days!) It has two threaded spots on the top for eyebolts that are for lifting. They are small diameter so my chain, etc. didn't fit. I had to wrap hoisting straps thru the eyebolts and had a bit of difficulty getting it level as I lifted it. There is a post a few days ago that showed Great Lakes Castors fitting into the mounting holes in the base. I built a base using the same castors, but the straight mounting sure looks easier.

I'm not sure I answered your ??:
    -The machine will be crated and bolted to a pallet. Simple to unpack. I used my cordless circular saw to section the crate, unbolted the pallet and lifted with a chainhoist. You should look for that earlier post and order some leveling castors.

- I was able to handle unpacking solo, but it is always fun to show your wife how strong and manly you are lugging big hunks of steel around. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post

There is a post a few days ago that showed Great Lakes Castors fitting into the mounting holes in the base. I built a base using the same castors, but the straight mounting sure looks easier.

Does anyone remember what thread that post was in? I have a set of the casters and would like to use them on my G0636X bandsaw but it looks like if I simply mount them inside of the base (in the holes that are there) I'll not be able to adjust the leveling pads down to the floor when I don't want it to roll. The adjustment to raise/lower the pad is accessed from the sides of the casters and I can't see how I would get to it with the sides of the BS base in the way.
    Bob

Bob, I remember a post, possibly on another board, where someone placed 2x4's in the hollow base and mounted the casters through them and the hole in the bandsaw base. I will see if I can find the thread in question.

Bob, check out posts in my name. You will see I just set up my G0636X with Great Lakes casters and am very pleased. Adjustment nut is easy to access. Private message me if you need any specifics. You do this by clicking on my name at the top of this post and then choosing "Find all posts...."
    Last edited by Bret Leishman; 02-06-2008 at 4:20 PM.

From looking at the pictures in the catalog, the bases on the 636 and 513 do look slightly different. I am planning on purchasing the G0513X2 and have already ordered my great lakes casters so am interested in if there is any trick to mounting them.

Had a real tough time with my 514X2. Finally bought a 2 ton engine hoist and then it was duck soup! Yes, the eyebolt is there for lifting, as proven by use; the guys at Griz said so too!
    If you put it on a mobile base, be aware that the doors will not open due to an interference between the door panel and various bolt heads. Solved by installing a double plywood sub-floor in the base, after gloing down the learning curve a way .
    Enjoy your saw; it will do a nice job cutting thin slices, like veneer, and also a good job cutting 12-inch thick bowl blanks too, and using the tilt feature makes this really nice.
    You might have a bit of a time with the rather flimsy red metal blade shield but its only a shield. I have not been able to accurately align the table to the blade yet since insufficient adjustment is provided in the table carriage bolt holes. Hope you post your findings.

John, you mentioned "shopcrane". What exactly are you talking about? I'm considering getting the same saw, but am concerned about offloading and moving the saw around.

I'd also like to find out what people use for moving heavy machines. I've seen 2 ton engine lifts for about $150 but it looks like the base may get in the way when moving a woodworking machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barstow View Post
    I'd also like to find out what people use for moving heavy machines. I've seen 2 ton engine lifts for about $150 but it looks like the base may get in the way when moving a woodworking machine.

.... if what you need to do is raise/lower a machine (eg. onto mobile bases) rather than move a machine around the shop, and you have access to the ceiling joists, then eyehooks screwed into the joists and 2 (or four) ratcheting web clamps threaded thru the eyehooks and around the machinery, with do the lifting safely and cheaply. Each 1" wide web has a 700 lb. strength and the ratcheting arm has enough leverage to raise each side (or corner) of a 3hp cabinet saw or more with ease

good luck

michael