Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bandsaw unpacking advice sought

How much weight can safely be supported from those rafters though? Rafters are generally made from 2x4's, and structurally, they are not ment to be pulled on from the bottom...

I've moved my 20" bandsaw (6'6, 700#) around using a heavy duty hand cart. The cart is rated at 1000 lbs and it moves the saw just fine. I use a strap to make sure that the cart and the saw don't go their separate ways during the move.

Pete

My new shop has a cathedral ceiling and the ceiling rafters are I-Joists. There is also a finished sheetrock ceiling. I'd rather not go hacking into it to build a makesift hoist. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5213_200305213

Jim

I used a shop crane and a $15 flat furniture dolly (1000 lb cap) both from HF to unload my tools from my truck and move them around to get them in the shop. The legs do have to extend under the load, but in most cases one can straddle the tool. You will not be able to get enough height on the crane to lift the bandsaw upright, but can get it started enough to push it on up. Having a helper would sure make it easier! My lightest tool was about 500 lbs.

I'm wondering if the holes in the saw base will support its weight if you use them to mount casters--they might just be there to bolt the saw down to the pallet its shipped on. Those are some heavy saws, boy, I'd want to spread that weight around a bit with some sort of frame.

One Man Operation

I know that this is a late posting on this thread, but I ran across it in my search for guidance on how to unpack a Grizzly G0513 and put it on a Shop Fox mobile base. I thought that my experience might be of value to others facing this same problem. I managed to mount it on the mobile base without any help - so one person can do this.

I paid for the lift gate service at curbside. The UPS Freight driver was agreeable to come up my paved driveway (about 150') so that I did not have to use my hand truck to take it up the hill. In addition, he agreed to take it through my garage to my workshop in back (everything was on the same level). I have him a $10 tip for his trouble and that saved me a lot of trouble. I used a pry bar to remove all of the packing material from the pallet. I did not put the table on the band saw prior to putting it on the mobile base because I was trying to keep the weight down.

The first step was to take some excess 3/4" particle board that I had and cut it to the dimension of the band saw base. I cut two additional strips the same width as the base, but 4 1/2" wide to put at each end. They were glued and nailed to the larger piece. The reason for the particle board (or plywood) base is that I elected to mount the casters to the side of the mobile base instead of to the front and back to give the band saw greater stability. With the casters mounted in this position, they impeded the opening of the lower door. Raising it 1 1/2" removes that restriction.
    Attachment 328417Attachment 328418
    I drilled 1/4" holes in the corners of the particle board roughly in the center of the plates on the mobile base that support the band saw. Then I drilled 3/8" holes in the plates so that there would be some slack to allow aligning of the particle board with the mobile base. This slack also let me mount the particle board in the base loosely so that it was slightly larger than what was necessary to accommodate the band saw. I thought that if I made it exactly the size, i might have some problems fitting it in since the band saw would be dropping in at an angle (and the welds at the corners also took up some room). I cut about 1 1/2" off of each end of the front and back channels so that the base would fit the band saw tightly. The mobile base was put together with the bolts just finger tight on one end of each support channel and the 1/4" bolts with fender washers I put in from the bottom of the mobile base to hold the particle board in place were also not tight. I used T-nuts at the corners since I would not be able to hold a nut with the band saw over them.
    IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpg
    Next, I used a strap to hold the mobile base next to the pallet. I decided that the best way to get it off of the pallet and onto the mobile base was to move it to the front. That way, I believed that I would have the best stability and the majority of the weight would continue to be on the pallet until I had it well off of the pallet. That worked out well.
    IMG_1025.jpg
    Sorry about the sideways picture, but that is the way this site uploads the picture. I got the band saw almost all of the way on to the mobile base when it just hung up. I repositioned the strap but it would only go a short distance. I finally realized that it was hung up in the back on the channel bolts in the mobile base. I used a pry bar to lift it up and the tension on the strap was enough to move it on top of the bolts. Then a shove moved it into place.
    IMG_1027.jpg
    Next I used a bar clamp to tighten up the mobile base frame as tight as it would go and tightened up the bolts. Tightening up the bolts that hold the particle board to the frame proved to be a little difficult in that I could not hold up the end of the open end wrench to the bolts in the tight space. I took some cardboard and placed it under the mobile base to support the wrench, and then it was fairly easy.
    IMG_1030.jpg
    Lastly, I used some lag bolts to hold the band saw to the base. I am very pleased with the results.
    IMG_1031.jpg