Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis Wood Sources

St. Louis Wood Sources

I plan to attend the woodworking show this weekend in St. Louis, and I'd love to hear from any of the "locals" where the best source of hardwood lumber is in the area. I've been to St. Charles Hardwoods on Mid Rivers Mall before, but I've found that if I need a very substantial pile of wood they don't have the quantities or selection necessary. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. St. Charles Hardwoods

I've dealt with St. Charles hardwoods quite a bit. $10k+ a year, probably.They have thousands of board feet of hardwoods. only a small amount makes it to the rack, that seems to be picked through by the weekenders. Call and ask for a quote and they will verify quantities on hand before they will price it. They also have a south store off hwy 30 and will deliver there for pickup if its closer. PM me and I can give you a contact name and phone #. Darren

Thanks Darrin, as dumb as it sounds I've never thought to ask if they have more than is in the rack. Since it seems your already in the warehouse, I never thought they might have more. Even when I've been after something as simple/common as 6/4 oak or 4/4 walnut, the supply in the rack has bordered on useless. Zebra, purpleheart, etc. has been a non-starter. I'll give them a better shot this weekend.

The Wood & Shop (2650 Metro Blvd, off Dorsett near I-270, 314-739-0001) was very good, particularly for oak, when I used to go there. I haven't been there since they moved away from the airport a couple years ago, however, since I mostly go to sawmills now.

Kirk

Lumber Logs. Tom Sontag is a member here and will be at the wwing show. You also find his contact info via woodfinder. I rarely go anywhere else.

Tom, do I get a finders fee?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I was planning on heading to the WoodCraft store in STL before the show since I have never been to one before. I would assume they have a decent stockpile of hardwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woessner View Post
    I was planning on heading to the WoodCraft store in STL before the show since I have never been to one before. I would assume they have a decent stockpile of hardwood?
    Not bad, but pricey.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

WoodCraft

Thanks Gary, I just ordered some of the Behlen Table Top Varnish from them online and was planning on ordering more items but found the same stuff $20 cheaper from another online source. I thought it would be neat to look around any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann View Post
    Lumber Logs. Tom Sontag is a member here and will be at the wwing show. You also find his contact info via woodfinder. I rarely go anywhere else.

Tom, do I get a finders fee?

Sorry, but what town is this in? I tried to find it in St. Louis and didn't come up with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    Sorry, but what town is this in? I tried to find it in St. Louis and didn't come up with anything.
    Never mind, I found out what I needed by looking Mr. Sontag up in the member directory. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    You really cannot beat Tom's prices and the quality of wood is excellent. All the wood at Lumber Logs is in the rough so if you don't have a jointer or planer it may not be the best option for you. They don't really keep normal retail hours but are on the lot many Saturday mornings. If you catch them when they are on the lot (usually between 9 AM and 11 AM), their $150 minimum order doesn't apply. Just as an example, I purchased just over 50 BF of cherry, walnut and curly maple along with a few turning blanks and my bill was around $225. A similar purchase at Woodcraft, Rockler or St. Charles Hardwoods would have easily exceeded $350 if not $400.

Outside of Lumber Logs, the Wood n' Shop is the 2nd best option. They have a large selection of domestics and also a few exotics. The prices are reasonable for "retail" lumber and just about everything they sell has already been planned parallel to 3/4 stock, so you don't need a planer.

If exotics are your preference, Hibdon Hardwoods is the place to shop in St. Louis. They are located a couple of miles north of downtown St. Louis on Broadway and carry all sorts of exotic woods. They are an excellent source for Honduran Mahogany. I don't think they have weekend retail hours so you may be out of luck there.

I have to agree with Tim and Gary. I went to Lumber Logs a few weeks ago for the first time and it was like going to the candy shop of wood. Real nice guys there to deal with as well. I agree with the wood n shop being the next best choice.

Late, but never quite out of it, here I am.

For domestics, there is one clear choice. Really. Shop around. (Darren, you are paying too much for domestics.) As noted, we cater to those who can deal with rough sawn boards and very infrequent 'retail' hours. I will be there after the breakfast this Saturday morning (skipping the WW Show). We average a presence every other Saturday morning.

For exotics, I have bought at Wood N Shop, Hibdon, and Woodcraft. Wood N Shop has more variety and Hibdon seems to be edging towards luthier stuff. I always look at wood and sometimes you see something that must come home!

If you search for any domestic hardwood at woodfinder.com and put in a zip code near me, we will pop up as one of the ten choices shown. Click and read and learn. Or just click my name here and "visit my homepage". It takes effort to find us since we lack retail hours and barely advertise (did you look in the Yellow Pages?), but that is part of how we sell for less.
    Last edited by Tom Sontag; 02-06-2008 at 1:52 AM.

I'll post another vote for Tom Sontag (Don't tell him I said this)
    Here is the link to his woodfinder site:
    http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Great prices, and a great guy to deal with, so just ignore the strapless dress!

Oh yeah, if you happen to have Newfoundland dogs, bring it along and you get a HUGE discount, right Tom?

Tom Sontag

I have tried to go to this place many times and Tom is never open. I called for an appointment and he was too busy. I live out of St Louis and have given up talking to him.

I really would like to do business with him. Any suggestions? I usually purchase 300 to 400 bd ft at a time and pay cash.

Good Luck.

David