Thread: End Table design Assistance needed

End Table design Assistance needed

I'm Sketchup impaired so I'll try and describe what I'm making. The basic design for the end table is Mission style with spindles on the sides. The front and back are going to have two cherry panels floating in a center stile. The misson of this piece is to allow the customers cat a place to eat without their bigger and greedier dog having access to the food because of the spindles. The cat will fit, the dog will not. The top will be hinged for access but that has nothing to do with the question....

Which is - The width of the opening for the panels is 17"W X 17 1/2" H so each panel will only be a little over 7" wide. The folks want raised panels and I can't envision whether the panels will be too "busy" considering the fairly small size. I'm trying to talk them into going with flat panels or would raised panels work?

Either way, I guess I need to get more involved with Sketchup.

I really can't envision the design but raised panel doesn't say Mission to me.

No argument out of me but since it's her design and her money, she can call it anything she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael McCoy View Post
    No argument out of me but since it's her design and her money, she can call it anything she wants to.
    Reminds me of the saying... "NO the customer is not always right. BUT the customer IS always the customer."

Now, I don't quite get what you mean with your table description either.
    Still, I thought I'd play around a bit with Sketchup. Gives me an excuse to play around with how to make a raised panel.

I got this:panel1.jpg

I messed up your dimensions a bit. But it is pretty close to your 17-1/2x17 that you mentioned. The panels are actually 7" wide, but I have them in 1/4" deep grooves, so 6-1/2" is visible.

Not exactly my idea of mission either, but it doesn't look too bad as far as proportions.

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

Thanks Art - thanks to you at least I have something to show. I just did a dry run in MDF this afternoon so they can see the real thing and I expect she will change her mind.