Thread: Barracuda Chuck Problem

Barracuda Chuck Problem

My Barracuda Chuck (CSC3000C) is 6 months old. Today it has locked up after some turning; I am unable to move the jaws with the wrench. The jaws seemed fine when I chucked the turning, which is relatively small and light. I am using a Jet Mini.
    I didn't use any CA glue on it :-)

Any suggestions on how to free it?

Thanks

Blow it out good with compressed air, if you have a compressor, then spray it with silicone. That should get you going again.....Ron

If Ron's suggestion doesn't work, try tapping around the chuck with a plastic face hammer while loosening.

If you're afraid to use WD-40 in case of sawdust, then you could try one of those spray teflon dry lubes. They do need to be lubricated now and again...

Is the wood still stuck in the chuck?

Just on the off chance I'll ask; perhaps you're tightening instead of loosening?

Had the same problem. It definitely needs lubrication. I used lithium (bicycle grease) and it worked well for unsticking it, but is horrible for sawdust sticking. You may need something penetrating to get it unstuck, then clean it good and use a silicone or teflon spray. I need to clean mine, and use a non oil lubricant.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Many thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
    I don't have a compressor so got a can of Dust Off. That with some delicate hammering worked. Add some silicon and it's like new!
    This site is amazing. Wish I had this level of support when I was in IT - might still be there.
    Thanks again,
    Martin

I'd be careful with the silicone spray. It's been known to cause terrible fish-eye problems with lacquer. I'm not sure what it does with other finishes....

Thanks for the warning, Jim. I haven't used laquer yet, but will bear it mind.

Martin

sticky problem??

Silicon spray won't bllend with any finish Jim. Next time try Break Free(Tm). available at most hunting stores. It penetrates and lubes, (silicon) you might want to degrease after it comes loose.
    Bob