Thread: DC Spiral Pipe Installation (w/ PICS!)

Rob Will Guest

DC Spiral Pipe Installation (w/ PICS!)

Here are some photos of my dust collector installation (in progress).

The system is based on an Oneida 7.5 hp belt drive blower that I direct mounted in a vertical position above the Oneida 28" diameter cyclone. The entire assembly is mounted on a 3x3" steel tubing frame.

The cyclone inlet is 10" and the first section of spiral pipe is also 10". Hopefully this will provide for smooth air flow prior to entering the cyclone (and enhanced chip separation). Everything here is USA made. Oneida cyclone, NY blower, Lindab Union Made pipe and fittings.

So far, all I have done is mount the 10" pipe and 8" pipe to the wall and hook up the PM 225 planer with 8" pipe (I just had to try this thing out). There are a few details yet to work out on the planer hookup.

The cyclone and blower are mounted in an unheated garage area. This provides easy chip removal to the outside doors. From the 10 x 10" blower outet, 12" metal pipe returns the air back to the three 18 x 62" filters mounted in a storage room and back inside the conditioned space. (We are framing the partition wall later this week)

To control sound and to minimize sound transfer back into the shop, the 10" suction pipe is mounted to the cyclone with a neoprene coupler - no metal to metal contact. I also had perforated metal and 1" sound deadening material installed inside the filter plenum.

One thing that I am really proud of is the method of hanging the spiral pipe on the wall. It was cheap, fast, and easy. The hangers are cut from 3/4" birch plywood on the bandsaw. The size of the hangers and offset from the wall varies depending on the pipe size. (The pipe centerline stays the same regardless of size). The hangers are drilled with two pocket holes on each side and screwed to the wall. I used 2-1/2" screws and each hanger will hold 200 lbs. (I tested each one) Easy to fabricate and install. If any changes are needed, these brackets (being from wood) are easy to change or modify. Brackets are painted with latex house paint to match the wall before installation. Spacing on the wall is every 4'.

I hope you like this and maybe somebody can use this pipe hanger idea.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Will; 02-07-2008 at 9:57 AM. Reason: added spacing info

Well done, clean, professional all the way.

Rob Will Guest
    Thanks Daniel,

Here is one more pic of the plywood brackets. 8 and 10" sizes are all that we have done so far. I am keeping a pattern of each size bracket in case of future changes. These did not have to be extremely accurate and only took a few minutes to cut out on the bandsaw.

The pocket holes are offset 2" from one side to the other. Stand-off from the wall is 2" on the 10" size and 3' on the 8" version.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Will; 02-07-2008 at 1:52 AM.

Wonderful installation, Rob!!! And yes, those hangers are the bee's knees. Very nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very clean install

Jeez Louise. Don't let any pets or small children near the intake port of this system. This is one neat and professional-looking system.
    Let's see some more pics of this shop. Please.

Very clean...almost TOO clean!

Do you not feel a need to strap the pipe to the fancy pipe holder you made? I guess I'm used to California...where the ground shakes you to pieces every once in a while.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Very clean...almost TOO clean!

Do you not feel a need to strap the pipe to the fancy pipe holder you made? I guess I'm used to California...where the ground shakes you to pieces every once in a while.
    Good point Chris,
    If need be, I can run a metal strap over the top but for the most part, when all the drops are installed and fastened to the wall, I don't think it will move. We have been known to get a little bit of earth shakin around here but hardly enough to feel. Thanks for the reminder.

Rob

A few dabs of silicone caulk between the pipe and the supports will keep it in place quite nicely. After all, kitchen counters are installed that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wonderful installation, Rob!!! And yes, those hangers are the bee's knees. Very nice!
    Thanks all,
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images