Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on Drum Sanders?

Well, doggone it. Am I getting a bandsaw next or a darn sander now?

Since I gloated about the nice figured wood I have that I'm sure my planer (Delta 13" xx-580) would make a mess of, now I am seriously thinking about a drum sander. Sigh...space and money, space and money....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris, it's only money. Get them both.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Well, doggone it. Am I getting a bandsaw next or a darn sander now?

Since I gloated about the nice figured wood I have that I'm sure my planer (Delta 13" xx-580) would make a mess of, now I am seriously thinking about a drum sander. Sigh...space and money, space and money....
    Well.....The BS takes up less floor space! I think the BS is far more versatile and you'd use it more. Depending on the project at hand, you could effectively double (or better)the mileage of your pretty woods with a BS. As for planing the pretty stuff, wet it down pretty good and take very, very light passes. Then use a ROS to smooth it out. Yes, the drum sander alleviates much of this and is "safer" than the planer, but the process can still be accomplished without one, whereas things you can do with a nice BS are much harder to duplicate by other methods. Just my $00.02....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Idyllwild CA Southern Ca in the mountians 100 miles east of LA
    I have a 16/32 in my back yard...To slow and under powered for what I need. Give me a shout or e-mail if interested.

Jim from Idyllwild CA
    909-415-1010

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga
    I would appreciate input on the smaller drum sanders.

For the past few years I’ve had easy access to a 50” commercial drum sander, but those days are coming to an end. I am considering buying a drum sander for my shop, which my wife calls the garage, and certainly can’t afford the space or $$$ for a 50-incher. I have seen smaller Performax (their 16/32) & Delta drum sanders at my local Woodcraft but haven’t heard any first hand reports. I’d greatly appreciate hearing feedback, both positive and negative on these units, whether you use it all that much, as well as any tips on buying (where to get a good buy, best model, etc).

Thanks,
    Roger
    I have delta it's been a good sander,,don't know where your at but there is one is for sale at Woodnet.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-09-2004 at 8:52 AM. Reason: removed direct link to another public forum which is a violation of the SMC Terms of Service
    Mike