Thread: vise question

vise question

I remember seeing somewhere that a vise could be made using a pipe clamp. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyone done it?

Vise

Joe

"Is that you, Baxter? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain?"

Here's one: http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...7246560052.xml

This video from Fine Woodworking shows a couple of types of vises from pipe clamps:
    http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=28530

I have done almost exactly the same setup on my "bench" as is shown in the link http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...7246560052.xml Instead of cutting off the top of the pipe flange I cut a small mortise into the bottom side of my "bench" top to allow the pipe to sit right up against the underside of the bench top while the flange is bolted onto the apron.

I think that this provides a slight bit of extra strength as my "bench" aprons are not all that strong. It also does not obstruct the front edge of my bench top so I can clamp directly to the front edge of the top as well as clamp work sitting on the top of the bench against dogs or stops. I have two of these "Vises" about 24" apart as well as a small front vise. I find that it is not a bad cheap solution.

Yep, that's about what i was thinking. Do you happen to have a picture of yours? And you've been please with how it works?

Well here is what I currently have and it works pretty well. I think that the next upgrade I make will be a U clamp right near the edge of the bench top to keep the pipe from pushing away from the top when clamping pressure is applied. Once this is done, I think it will be very functional and I may even add a few to the end of my bench.

Pipe-clamp vice

Mike,
    This is on my bench...works like a champ. I only put the clamps in when I'm using it, and the clamps do get in the way but I've learned to work around them.
    roy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    roy griggs
    roygriggs@valornet.com