When I outfitted my shop, I bought 20 T12 4' fixtures. They are the inexpensive ones from the Borg that are called workshop lights. The reason I chose them, other than price, was they have a metal cage around the bulbs instead of any kind of plastic lens. I figured that I would bang them with pieces of wood and this would be a good design. I was right.
The problem is the sockets in the things break often. When I go to change the lightbulbs, one false move and the bulb is stuck. The only way to release it is to twist it a little harder and snap one of the cheesy metal tabs that provide power to the bulbs. Since the fixture over the doorway has been banged into submission, I've been canabalizing it for spares every time I break one. So far so good until yesterday.
Yesterday, I put the the final canabalized socket into one of the fixtures and it still didn't work. I'm guessing that means I need a new electronics module also. What is readily available to me. I'm pretty sure the borgs sell new modules for them, and they are most likely better than the ones I have now. Can I buy new sockets for them also? Maybe some that are higher quality. I kind of like the way these fixtures take a beating, so I'm happy with the housing. I'd be happy to just upgrade the electronics and sockets over time as needed. I'm just wondering if it's reasonable or possible.