Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions needed on potential table saw purchase

Opinions needed on potential table saw purchase

Hello all...

I've been looking for a time on craigslist and elsewhere for a table saw, as I don't have one... this'll be my first. Anyhow, I came across a vintage '66 Powermatic that has been refurbished by the current owner. The top and bottom of the table have been machined flat, there are new bearings in the arbor, and it comes with a new Powermatic fence, 30" and 50" rails, a new miter square and an extension table.

All this for a cool $1,000.

Here are some pics. Just croll down to the bottom of the woodworking photos to see the saw: http://picasaweb.google.com/dohcfox/WoodworkingProjects

The catch is that the saw has a 3 phase motor which I would have to replace with a single phase (duh!). So that could potentially run me another $200-$400 I figure.

The saw has been used in a cabinet shop for the last 4 years and was only replaced because the owners wanted a Sawstop. Is this a deal or am I looking at a potential money pit?

Thanks in advance!

JT Christianson
    Yeah, I misspelled my last name when I registered

So you are looking at $1300-$1400 for a used PM-66 in good shape. What are you waiting for. The PM-66 that I worked on for a friend used a NEMA 56-C motor. This is a fairly common type of motor, just most will come with a base mounting plate, which the PM-66 doesn't use. Cheapest NEMA 56- C motor I know of is a pressure washer motor from Northern Tools.

I have seen PM66's new on amazon recently with free freight ship and many states have no tax with amazon - all for $1999. Just for perspective. That would include a warranty as well.

It shouldn't be a money pit. You'll need to replace the motor and possibly the switch (or change heaters). Or you could remove the switch and add a VFD to switch from 1phase to 3phase. As long as the inner workings of the saw are sound (bearings) you won't need to do any other work to it.

Arcola IL has an Amish outlet that sells PM motors as well.

This sounds like a good deal then? The motor should not be an issue from what I read. I am nervous about this as it is my first table saw...

JT

It's a fair deal but you will need to do some work. If you're comfortable doing the work then have fun. You should look at the saw and check to see that the arbor bearings are still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    It's a fair deal but you will need to do some work. If you're comfortable doing the work then have fun. You should look at the saw and check to see that the arbor bearings are still good.
    I was told by the current owner that he replaced the arbor bearings and I would enjoy 'tweeking' my new tablesaw.

Not a bad deal I would say. You will need to deal with the 3 phase but that should not be a show stopper. Replacing the arbor bearings is a snap on that saw, just make sure to take some pictures of the setup on the arbor and make some measurements on the blade distance to the miter slot before you remove the table top. The only other bearings in the saw are the motor and those too are relatively easy to change out and not too expensive.
    What year make is the saw? You can tell from the s/n. The color, if it is original, suggests a 70's vintage saw. The dust door on the front has been replaced as that isn't the original handle on it. That is a very solid saw, replacement parts are available new for most of the parts though the threads may have changed to metric, not really a big deal.
    You can find all the info you want on that saw and good advice on the 3 phase at Old Wood Working Machines.org.
    You'll love that saw compared to the contractor saw you are using now. I would make the move and never look back. I did just that recently with a PM66.
    It's not a GREAT deal but it is a good deal that that saw is probably built better than the new saws today, IMHO. Resale on that saw is very good and you should do no worse than break even if you decide to sell it. If you could talk them down to ~$750 or so, it would be a much better deal and you could do the phase converter for a couple hundred but $1000 is OK deal.
    Last edited by Fred Woodward; 02-02-2008 at 9:24 AM.

Ditto Fred's comments. With the switch-out, even if in excellent condition, I wouldn't go more than $850 for the saw. But.. we all have different ways we can spend our time..

Good luck...

Sarge..

That saw is of 1960s vintage. It looks like part of the main trunion has been replaced because on some of the pictures it looks like it is gold color. It looks like a very nice saw though.

Great advice everyone. I did try to get the guy to go down to $800 but no go. The seller originally wanted $1,200! So $1,000 was as the best deal I could get from him. I am told that this saw was made in 1966.

JT
    Last edited by JT Chrstianson; 02-02-2008 at 2:39 PM.

PM66! $1000! GO Man GO
    Get the saw. Even if you have to "tweak" the saw, you will gain valuable knowledge about the saw. Some of my best workshop time, not making a specific project, is in tweaking my machines.
    Let us know when you get it.
    Good Luck
    Victor
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

That really isn't a terrible deal (2 sets of rails, new fence, fresh ground tables, and 1 extension (you didn't specify which and what kind of extension). The CI extension is about $400+.
    It does look like the trunnion has been replaced. Wonder when and why. Those are just about impossible to break in using the saw....not so if you drop it when you are trying to rebuild the saw.
    Still, while not all original parts it looks like an OK deal. Price out those rails and see what kind of extension is included. If it's a cast iron extension that's not too bad.
    You can easily sell the 50" rails if you don't intend to run that large (those rails are about 6' long).
    I just recently purchased a '83 PM66 (1 phase) for $750 on CL. Needed to replace the bearing arm for a broken casting (~$80). New bearings for arbor and motor (~$40). New 30" PM rail set off of fleabay ($125) New Bies fence ($200). Lots of sweat in cleaning it all up and repainting. It really adds up quickly.
    Was it worth it? Oh yeah.

Very nice job Fred. Great looking saw.