Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need a Chip Seperator

I Need a Chip Seperator

As the title says... I need a chip seperator. I have looked at Phil Thiens' design and havent ruled that out yet, but then found this on Ebay:

eBay Link #270208091598

Has anybody bought one of these and have any comments?
    Last edited by Lance Norris; 02-07-2008 at 7:51 PM. Reason: Sorry, direct eBay links not allowed ,sorry...I didnt know that

Looks interesting, but if i were to get that i would just prefer to hook the blower right on it and then discharge to a canister filter. It looks redundant to have the cyclone then to a DC.

Do you anticipate putting this between the machine and your current DC, or buying a fan to put on to this?

A cheaper alternative for a chip collector is a trash can and the trash can lid separator, which will run about 50$ maybe, then you can add a second stage plate below the normal lid which will help add some more efficiency to the chip collector.
    Last edited by alex grams; 02-07-2008 at 3:59 PM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

What kind of dc are you using on the outtake?

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    A cheaper alternative for a chip collector is a trash can and the trash can lid separator, which will run about 50$ maybe, then you can add a second stage plate below the normal lid which will help add some more efficiency to the chip collector.
    i.e., Phil Thien's design.

I have a Grizzly 2hp canister, G0548, and want to put a chip seperator between my DC and my 15" stationary planer. I like Phils' design, but wonder how I will seal around the lid, and I am having trouble finding a steel trash can. I guess if I go with Phils design, I could use a plastic can, and when not in use, I could use a blast gate so the can isnt under constant vacuum, and possibly collapse.

I'm using a heavy duty plastic can I got at the Borg and have not had a problem with it collapsing and no leakage around the seal. Does a really good job of separating the chips and dust.

Randy... are you using a shop-made or one of the Woodworking supplier made lids? Also what, if any, seal did you use?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Has anybody bought one of these and have any comments?
    Yes, I bought one and it is really built well. Seems are hand made and very good craftsmanship. I wish I could tell you how it works but I haven't finished hooking it up yet. I can tell you that it is a bargain at this price.

I bought the larger version to hook up to a 3 hp dc impeller and motor that I scrounged a while back and I expect to be into a cyclone system for about 300 dollars before running the pipe. I live next to a pasture so I'll just vent the dust outside.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

I built a chip seperator using a barrel I got from a place that does powder coating paint. Price was $0.00. It seals well with a clamp that goes over the lid and the top of the barrel. I put on a couple of plumbing els that fit my pipe and put a baffle between the intake and outtake parts. It does a reasonable job of collecting chips.

I have seen and been considering one of those units.

Here is his web site. It looks like he is selling them for $169.00 instead of $189.00 on the website.

http://www.cycloneseparator.com/5026/index.html

Mark... thanks for the link. That just paid for my shipping

Lance,

I think it was Wood Magazine that had plans for making a chip seperater using a 60 gallen drum a few years back. I made one and really like it.

I will see if I can find the plans and get back to you.3

Harold

Lance,
    I j st finished building the cyclone in wood magazine, one day to construct and materials cost less than 100 bucks. You can remove your blower from the DC and mount it directly on the cyclone. Venting outside will increase its performance by reducing resistance through the filter bags, especially if clogged.

Lance,

I found the plans for the chip separator, it was in ShopNotes #55. If you don't have this copy send me your maling adress by private message and I will make copys and send them to you.

Lance

I have that seperator and it works great! The seperator I have has a 4" inlet and a 6" outlet. I had the Craftsman DC that I took the motor and blower housing off of and mounted it on the wall above the seperator. On the blower housing I took off the 2 4" intakes, then used a chisel to remove the inlet ring and that gave me a larger opening. I put an adapter on it to give me a full 6" inlet which I connected to the seperator and blower housing.

I then mounted the seperator to a 55 gallon drum. I then replaced the upper bag with a canister filter. When in use I get no dust or chips in the lower bag. The seperator removes over 99% of the dust and all of the chips. I have not had to empty the lower bag yet but have filled the 55 gallon drum about 10 times. Every time I empty the drum I blow out the canister filter but there is very little dust in it.

I have it connected to 4" pvc that is connected to an 8" Jointer, table saw, lathe and assorted others as I need them.