Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Substitute for Teak?

I built a boat rack last summer and as the cost of teak was high,I used Afromosia.This wood is supposed to be the closest replacement for teak.I finished it with teak oil and it seems to be holding up very well in the weather.

Oscar

I didn't expect so many replies! Thanks! This is for indoor use so its not the weather I am worried about. The table is made from reclaimed teak and I am not sure where he got it from but it had no chairs. Mostly I am looking for a wood that will stain well and have a similar look to teak. He wants the table to match as well as possible.

I could go with teak but the cheapest I have found so far is about $14.85/bf and they are local (Utah) so I don't have to add shipping to that cost. Anyone know of any places that would be a lot cheaper in order to make up the cost in shipping?

Teak

I believe a lot of boatbuilders up here in Maine use either Sapelle or Sipo. I prefer Sipo, although it's not the easiest wood to work with
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    You might be able to make Jatoba (AKA, Brazilian Cherry?, Coubaril) pass.

It should be ~25% of the cost of Teak. A pair of the benches below have been outside year-round in MN for ~6 years and they've held up well. I suspect a good sanding and a fresh coat of oil would effectively bring the color back. I haven't tried to stain Jatoba, it waxy like it's tropical relatives, so it could be a challenge. I would think an aniline dye would impart some color, I could give it a whirl if you'd like.

Jatoba I would say is quite similar to Ipe in density, interlocked grain etc...

You might also try Lyptus, a plantation grown, fsc certified tropical hardwood that might fill the bill if you can find it.
    http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...ry_Code=Lyptus

-kg
    That will look similar in the beginning but Jatoba will darken over time quite a bit. I have a Teak kitchen and did a wall unit near the kitchen in Jatoba. In the beginning they looked very similar but now that it's a year later, the Jatoba has turned a red color.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Chris,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned cumaru (Brazilian teak). It's a wonderful match. I have some for $5.50 per BF so I'll send you a PM.

Edit: I see now that I missed Peter's suggestion of cumaru.
    Last edited by Matt Campbell; 02-08-2008 at 10:53 PM.

The cumaru I have used before was a very rich brown color with thin, golden lines running through it. It really did not look like teak at all. Additionally, it was very tough to plane and dulled my chisels very quick.
    I paid about $7/bf for it when I lived in the midwest.

Blog Entries
    BTW anyone notice that the price of Teak has gone through the roof? I used to get it for around $13 to $14 a BF. Now I see it as high as $21 a BF
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Yeah, cumaru is a tough one. We used it in custom flooring, was purchased 10,000BF at a time. Color varied from something very close to teak to something closer to hot chocolate. Spent a lot of time sorting bords into color 'ranges'. Lots of redish boards, greenish boards, some yellows and tans. Some didn't match anything, got put aside for resale. I think at the point of origination its actually several different species grouped into one trade name. Not the easiest wood to work and a very unpleasant odor in the fresh milled stock. Mills well with carbide, could see hand tools and HSS being a problem. Don't know how color changes with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bruno View Post
    I don't have first hand experience, but on NYW, Norm has used cypress on a number of shows where he states specifically that its a good alternative to teak.
    I think that was referring to its weather/rot resistant properties, not its appearance though.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Afromosia is a teak substitute.. check google..

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...Code=Afromosia